How long do you leave your block heater plugged in?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Since this is the winter block heater post I would like to add that it is not a bad idea to use an arc fault breaker with a block heater. The GFI (as noted above) is a pain in the ars because it will trip if the plug gets wet. I had a block heater cord burn up once and I honestly believe that the arc fault breaker saved my 90 from going up in flames in the middle of the nite. It does happen!
Ken

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
This is the timer I will be using, as soon as I figure out what happened to it in the move.. cookoo

Clicky

Thats a good timer. That is Paragons equivelent to the Intermatic T101. Tork makes ne too but I do not remember the model. The T101 is available at almost all **** Depo's
Ken

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
when I use mine I plug it in at 6 at night when I get home , then unplug it when I leave in the am.
never seems to hurt the elect bill to bad.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The block heaters pull 1,000 watts per hour (which is ten 100W bulbs). Our electric company here charges per kilowatt (1,000 watts) and the rate varies based on usage. Based on our usage, we get charged .041 cents per kilowatt. So it costs me just barely over .04/hour to use my block heater. If I leave it on all day and night, it'd cost me $.98 for the full 24 hours. I leave mine plugged in all night on the colder nights (below 30 degrees).

It seems pretty cheap, but that is for around here. We have hydroelectric power from all the dams, I'm sure the guys in the midwest pay an arm and a leg for the power coming from the coal powered plants. I think I will start plugging my truck in as well, anybody have any good recomendations for good magnetic block heaters?

Last edited:

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
It seems pretty cheap, but that is for around here. We have hydroelectric power from all the damns, I'm sure the guys in the midwest pay an arm and a leg for the power coming from the coal powered plants. I think I will start plugging my truck in as well, anybody have any good recomendations for good magnetic block heaters?

Not sure about a magnetic block heater, but my first IDI had a heater that installed in the lower radiator hose (as well as the one in the block). All that was done was about 2-3 inches of the hose was removed from the middle of it and this "heater" went in it's place. A hose clamp secured it on each side, and it worked great. In below zero temps, I'd plug both in and the heater would be blowing warm air within a minute or two of starting. ;Sweet

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I leave mine on all night. But the backwards thing about it.... it's harder to start when I use the block heater versus a cold start.cookoo I'm odd, therefore I guess my truck has to be too.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
It seems pretty cheap, but that is for around here. We have hydroelectric power from all the damns, I'm sure the guys in the midwest pay an arm and a leg for the power coming from the coal powered plants. I think I will start plugging my truck in as well, anybody have any good recomendations for good magnetic block heaters?

Here in Texas they have deregulated and it sux. I just got my electric bill in today. $0.214/kwh. We used 257 kwhand my bill was $56.65

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Mine is in stages... Up to 493 kwh is $0.03454, and then it goes up to .04106 for the next stage. I've never went over that. My last bill I used 865 kwh, and my bill was $77.18 after all their taxes and surcharges. Just he power was $32.30

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
WOW. Our KWH is $.05546

yipes you're getting *****.

Yep. I was on a "secure plan" with them but now they tell me they no longer offer any plans in my area. But just fifty miles west they have their plans at 0.114 kwh. Which still sux but is a lot better than what I've got.
Before the deregulation our rates were comparable with yours. But the dereg was going to allow competition in the market and give us choices.
And better rates. Yeah right!