how hard is too convert a 2wd zf to a 4wd zf?

Ryanohn

7.3 IDI Ranger
Reaction score
ive read that you can pull the tail housing off the zf. but can you swap the tail housing with 4wd tail housing. is there more work that has to be done to it ? or is just straight forward swap out ?
i would like to have 4x4 but i can always get a divorce transfer case

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do. Mainshaft is different. Idk where you are but i have a good 4wd zf sitting out back. Southern il

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent seen a 2wd one, but i have a few different 4wd zf's in my pile now, and there really is no tail housing. The rear half of the main housing and what would be considered the tail are 1 piece. If you replace it, theres bearing re-shimming involved.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought another 7.3 and trans from a F-SUPERDUTY several years ago . Got a killer deal on it, but it was a 2wd truck. So I went to check it out to see if it might work on my 4wd. Come to find out , the 2wd and 4wd transmissions are the same in the ZF's ....for the SUPERDUTY trucks anyway , all I did was remove the e-brake assembly , and bolt up my transfer case .

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way....you wouldn't happen to need an e-brake assembly for a SUPERDUTY would you? Haha

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought another 7.3 and trans from a F-SUPERDUTY several years ago . Got a killer deal on it, but it was a 2wd truck. So I went to check it out to see if it might work in my 4wd. Come to find out , the 2wd and 4wd transmissions are the same in the ZF's ....for the SUPERDUTY trucks anyway , all I did was remove the e-brake assembly , and bolt up my transfer case .

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea...don't fool with trying to remove the tailshaft housing . Unless you want to disassembled the whole transmission

Ryanohn

7.3 IDI Ranger
Reaction score
i havent seen a 2wd one, but i have a few different 4wd zf's in my pile now, and there really is no tail housing. The rear half of the main housing and what would be considered the tail are 1 piece. If you replace it, theres bearing re-shimming involved.

do you know what the change in shimming would be.

i would like the gasser gears in the zf, that the 7.3 is in my play truck. i would like a good creeper gear for the trails

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would change axle gears before changing trans gears.

But if that's you thing, you can swap all the guts from a 4x4 gasser trans (big block) to your diesel front case half.

There's no one specification on shimming.
You have to check bearing preload. Long tedious process of pulling the case back apart, putting together, measure, back apart, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryanohn

7.3 IDI Ranger
Reaction score
I would change axle gears before changing trans gears.

But if that's you thing, you can swap all the guts from a 4x4 gasser trans (big block) to your diesel front case half.

There's no one specification on shimming.
You have to check bearing preload. Long tedious process of pulling the case back apart, putting together, measure, back apart, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
okay that helps a lot. i plan on going to like 4.56 soon or later

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would like the gasser gears in the zf, that the 7.3 is in my play truck. i would like a good creeper gear for the trails
Thats what I did. 2nd gear is perfect for starting off now, reverse is noticeably better too. mine is from a '97ish 460.
do you know what the change in shimming would be.
you know how the bell and front case are one piece? the shims are inside there, and its gonna be different for each application.