How good or bad is the E4OD?

How good or bad is the E4OD?

• I have never been around them, but have heard good things

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That line pressure droop must have been quite the engineering project back in 1989. I can imagine the kind of arguing between mechanical engineers on the merits of that. These days its easier to accomplish simply by throttling down the engine near a shift point. Which still makes for an awkward driving experience in many vehicles. The 6.0/5speed auto in my Dad's F450 seems to get it right but I don't know if it has bone stock transmission or not.

One mod I saw recommended by a former Ford engineer was to take the cooler from a later 6.0 diesel track and install it in the older ones. Apparently ford got so fed up with cooling issues on the 4R100/E4OD that they went overkill on the later 5R110.

I just went with an aftermarket cooler on mine: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000C3BBKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The trans shop that built my in laws E4od also said the same thing about the 6.0 cooler, and sold me one.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One mod I saw recommended by a former Ford engineer was to take the cooler from a later 6.0 diesel track and install it in the older ones.
I will definitely confirm this as a drastic improvement. When we bought my wife's 2000 powerstroke it had a fresh rebuilt 4r100 with the tugger hd2 shift kit, and the cooler bypass delete done.

In 100 degree plus weather just stop and go traffic would set off the trans temp warning on the edge monitor. I think it trips the warning at around 225 degrees. After the 6.0 cooler install the highest temp I have ever seen loaded was 176 degrees. Stop and go driving now is usually around 145 degrees.

Not sure what is required for install in any of the idi trucks, but the 7.3 superduty just bolts in factory location.

James

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I assume you could now make the connecting cooler lines using Nicopp. Easy to form, relatively cheap, handles around 5,000+PSI at 3/8 diameter. I usually put a little curly coil of it somewhere to help eliminate fatigue from flexing, although given the length of run that probably isnt necessary for this application.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Had the 6.0 trans cooler in my pickup before I went manual. Was plumbed before cooler in radiator. Even with converter unlocked, transmission temps never went much over 200 degrees.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the truck I was looking at that has an E4OD unfortunately has low compression. I don’t need another project. I’ll just have to keep my eye out for a decent 84-96 crew cab. Diesel or 460. Sacrilege to say that I would be satisfied with a big block lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online