How does this not cause issues

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So while scouring YouTube the other day and watching random truck related videos, I came across a video of a guy who had cut a hole in his hood and spun his air cleaner a bit to where he aimed the whole plastic portion towards the hole he had made and essentially made a ram air like hood scoop intake for a na Diesel engine. Wasn't an IDI I believe it was a 6.2 from an old Chevy and my question was never discussed in the comment section (though there was a massive war on whether the engine was made by Detroit or gm and a lot of profanity laced wars). My question is how does this work with rain? My hood is ugly as hell and I had thought about just sanding it and painting it but the ugly area is right where I could grind a hole and fab up some sort of mount for making my intake feed from the slamming in air while going down the highway, but this seems like a death trap for hydro locking an engine.

What's the story here? I've seen it before and never gave it a thought and after learning about stuff on here, isn't going down the road in the rain the same as water sitting on the intake filter housing and getting past the bolt and seal there? Is there something easy people do to filter out the rain water or is this just a not plausible stupid idea. And I know, Turbo would be better and whatnot but so would a lot of things haha. I'm more curious on the how this doesn't cause issues then the should I consider it part. Always good to learn.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you had a cap to stop direct rain from dropping in, it'd probably be fine. Same for driving.
BTW, 6.2 is a idi, designed by Detroit, built by GM. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing is, the bolt for the air cleaner is supposed to have a washer with a rubber seal on it, secondly, the water coming in, it should not if the hood seal is across the cowl. Thirdly, what damn fool would want a hood scoop to direct water into an air cleaner. Soak the air filter in water and see how much air will flow thru it.

Your 90 should have the intake air tubing and plastic housing going up front and setting on top of the rad support.