How do you get the clutch push rod out??

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I am lost. The new one looks like it just pops out, and I can slide the new one in. I got the sensor loose so it slides back and forth on the shaft, but I cannot get the shaft out of the master cylinder. What am I missing? Should I just pull harder? :dunno

Thanks for any help!

PZ

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I tried to replace just the pushrod but gave up. I could not get it out of the master cylinder either. I tried lubricant, crushing the plastic tabs but could not get it to budge. Best of luck to you.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
In that case does anyone know where to get the bushing that goes from the push rod to the clutch pedal assembly?

PZ

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got mine from the dealership, I think I had to order it but it was pretty cheap. I also did the cotter pin mod as even a new bushing still allowed the rod to walk off.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I got mine from the dealership, I think I had to order it but it was pretty cheap. I also did the cotter pin mod as even a new bushing still allowed the rod to walk off.

I assume the cotter pin mod is to just drill a hole in the stud on the clutch pedal assembly, than stick a cotter pin through it?

PZ

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Usualy the only reason to have to get it out is if you got an adjustable clutch rod, if that's the case, than grab the old one and hold it over a table edge or similar and try to pry it out of teh end of the mc .the cup in the end locks the rod end, you have to pry and twist to snap an old one out, it's about as far from easy as you can get.

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
you can get the bushing from autozone it is a pack with auto trans shift bushing and only one clutch link bushing i think it was 7 bucks tho

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
you can get the bushing from autozone it is a pack with auto trans shift bushing and only one clutch link bushing i think it was 7 bucks tho

I got a kit similar to this from Napa, and non of the busings even fit over the stud.

Can someone take a pic of theirs so that I can see what its suppose to look like?

Thanks
PZ

Edit: for reference this is what I need a pic of.
You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I can speak to this very easily,

1 there is a small ball on the end of the clutch rod inside the MC that holds it in place.

2 there are/is a metal thinkgamajig inside the MC with little fingers that retain the rod in place once the ball end is pressed in enough. Like a Chinese finger puzzle so to speak slides in but not out.

3 I took a small plastic funnel, cut the end off, slit the tapered tube of the funnel along the side, wrapped it around the clutch rod slid it under the fingers into the MC and pulled out the clutch rod! I did this first to a worn out hunk o junk unit. then the good one and replaced the rod and it works fantastic!

hope this helps you out! and I'll see about some pics later

Oh ya the bushing is available in the "HELP" section of parts stores there are some transmission linkage bushings in it for autos and one for the clutch. cost $5or so

Looking at your pic your pin is worn out! and the rod eye is too. that pin and the tab it's welded too is replaceable from ford. you need to unbolt it from the cross shaft to do so and it's a ****** to do in the truck. Don't ask me how I know!

Maybe takea look at the firewall reinforcment article in it's entirety here you can see some more pics of worn ends and so forth, perhaps it will help

this one is more complete than what is here at OB http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186116