how do you get a crewcab dually from CA to NY

bushpig7

Reaction score
I am buying a stretch f350 crewcab dually from San Francisco bay area . I need to move it to buffalo NY where I can take it across the border. what is the cheapest way to do it? oh yeah .... its stuck in reverse too...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did the guy pull the slide-in camper off it's back?
I do have transport contacts that can get it out there but you might be better off getting it fixed first because the fees double for a non-runner especially for a pig it's size.
I can help with that too.
is that the truck in the pic?:D

Attachments

• 93f350dually.jpg
    93f350dually.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 72

bushpig7

Reaction score
That's the one

yeah that's the one. I think it was your thread that I read about it first in. There's no camper in there now. he used it to haul wvo to his biodiesel plant until the tranny failed. my family is about to grow (bun in oven) and I thought I could rig this unit to haul them all and a load on camping trips or hay runs north of here. Only problem is I live in northern Ontario Canada and the truck is in CA USA. I'm lookin for advice or help or both.

Kind Regards

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Very cool truck!
IT won't be cheap but the best way is to spend an hour or two and do a search on Google for "auto transport quote." Fill out as many as you have time for and you will start getting quotes back within the hour.

Here is a link to a search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+auto+transport+quote&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Make sure that you tell them that it is an oversized truck, and that it does not move. It will add more to the price.

I am guessing it will be between $1,300 and $2,000 to have it shipped.

Once you start getting quotes back just pick the best one and do a little reasearch on the company You will learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Congrats on the truck! I always did like that type of Centurion Conversion!;Sweet

MMeier

Reaction score
If at all possible, deal direct with a hauler, just say no to brokers!! My guess it will be closer to $3k to get it back there... INOP, going to get charged for 2 places, not one. How long is it, about 26'?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are your feelings on it being repaired out here and driven out to buffalo?
i may have a guy visiting out here from Lebanon, MO who can drive it out to NY.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
That might be a 4 speed and it looks like it is only 2WD.

However fixing it and driving seems like a better idea assuming you can find the right person to fix it!

bushpig7

Reaction score
It's definately an option

I'v thought about getting it fixed and driving it (what you cant see in the pic is that it is missing a bumper and grill as well) . It's a little intimidating to a northerner to travel 3000 miles to work on a truck in a different country in a city that I don't know etc etc. If someone who is more comfortable in CA wants to make a little money fixing it I would find that to be a more feasible route depending on the cost. I mean either it is done there or I do it when I finally get it here. what I'm looking for is the most economical way to get it to Canada. I have done a little research and am still waiting for a couple more quotes. A lot of the brokers fire off a low ball quote. only when you call to verify do they actually take a look at the specs. then they start "backpeddaling" and ramping up the cost.

Idon't actually know the true length but I figure 24" longer than a regular crew cab. I measured my 89 f350 and added 2 feet. I estimate it to be around 23 feet total from bumber to imaginary bumper.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be a doomsayer, but that truck is going to cost a bundle to get it from CA to NY. With a non running truck, specially one stuck in gear. I do believe you have to have someone besides the trucking company load it, then someone unload it at the destination. Maybe you found that out when you called them. Frisco to Buffalo is 2700+ miles, they get about 1.50 to 2.00 per mile or more, even @$1.50 that's $4050 plus loading and unloading. Did you check with Custom's what it takes to import it into Canada, there are certain restrictions, such as day lite running lites. As long as that truck is it will probably have to be on a flat bed truck. I hauled this on a 25 ft. trailer 700 miles and yours is longer than that. What ever you do DON'T deal with DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) heard some bad stories about them.

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the map, wouldn't taking the truck to Saulte St. Marie be closer ? Mattawa is way up in the boonies. Been up to Lake Nipissing at North Bay fishing years ago. Does the truck have to go to Buffalo to get it across ?

bushpig7

Reaction score
it's is closer

yeah sault michigan is closer. I have a friend who suggested Buffalo but any ontario border town will do. I actually prefer sault because the way back is through less built up areas. I appreciate all the advice I'm getting you've given me lots of Ideas. I did research the border crossing cost (about $500) . the daytime running lights thing is new to me. I don't have them on the truck I have now. don't know if they were a requirement yet in 93.
I don't think I want the hassle of getting a trailer home and finding a sale for it here (probably would fall in love with it and keep it) plus I can't afford the time off work. that's the main reason I want not to go get it myself. got to work to pay for the thing plus working in unfamiliar territory always creates time delays and unneeded expenses. most shipping bids are in the $2200 to $2600 range (by the way, DAS won't even bid on this move). I'm leaning towards Towcat's suggestion of fixing it and having it driven under its own power.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the Mich. Soo is a 100 miles closer than Buffalo from Frisco. Don't remember how far from Canadian Soo it was to North Bay, but going thru Buffalo, Niagara, St Catharines, Hamilton, Burlington, Mississauga and Toronto pulling a trailer with that truck on it would be some white knuckle driving, even on the freeway. DTRL's were required on all vehicles in Canada for years. You sure that when you turn the key on that the headlights don't come on dim on your truck, they are powered thru a resistor mounted on the drivers side in front of the battery down low. Did you look at my pic of the trailer? What year is that truck,looks like it may be a 99, same running boards on it as my 99 , do you know what tranny is in it ?
PM me if you can't find a hauler, might make a deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online