How about a 2 tank WMO setup

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody here tried to run WMO as a 2 tank system, since our truck have 2 tanks already. I am thinking about using one tank for 40/60 mix and the other for 80/20 with the needed heat exchangers to run year round on the thick mix after it warms up. Has this been done here before? I know a lot of guys are making it thinner in the winter time, which works, but costs more too. So how about some opinions ?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have a 3rd option, i run a third tank in my bed where i have run 100% WMO after i warmed up on a lighter mix with my stock tanks. i have not invested much time at all working on it recently but the big hurdle for me was the ability to pump it. i actaully had a power steering pump feeding the engine as a fuel pump but could never get it regulated right, at least not with my home brew stuff. i might be able to get it buying some $$$ pressure regulators.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go with a 2 or 3 tank setup, you'll need some extra 3 port valves.
IF your starting up on clear diesel and then switching over you need a way to divert the return line.
When your running wmo, then switch over to diesel, all the fuel thats in the fuel system, fuel filter, IP, injector lines, excess fuel in the lines,
needs to go back to one of the fuel tanks. Putting in a 3-port valve on the return line will let you divert that fuel to your "wmo tank", meanwhile
the "clean fuel" is moving through the system.(You need a 3-port valve on the supply side also)
When you have this type of setup you "use" a little more clean fuel because it needs to purge the system, for easier starting.
I've read horror stories of guys running wvo and the "clean tank" becomes dilluted with wvo and then becomes a tank of jelly, then both tanks are jelly.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running W85 in the front tank, D2 in the rear. I always try to shut it down on D2, as it starts a lot easier (even in hot weather) than it does on the W85 blend. I know what Brad is saying is true about the return, what I do is use up the D2 tank ever so often, that way I get rid of the mix that the return has created in that tank. A double set of manual valves would be the ideal setup, but I would have to have an extra idiot light in the dash to remind me to switch the return valve once the system is purged.... cookoo

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so maybe not a simple as it sounds. Still a good idea. right now I have my black diesel in the rear tank, and pump #2 in the front. since I am running about a 45/55 mix starting has not been an issue. I would, at the very least, like to keep my mix year round without having to use a larger pump fuel ratio $$. That is my basis for thinking about an added heat exchanger. Maybe a filter- heat exchanger in one unit.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody here tried to run WMO as a 2 tank system, since our truck have 2 tanks already. I am thinking about using one tank for 40/60 mix and the other for 80/20 with the needed heat exchangers to run year round on the thick mix after it warms up. Has this been done here before? I know a lot of guys are making it thinner in the winter time, which works, but costs more too. So how about some opinions ?

I'm using 75/25 since it's gotten cold in the mornings. I don't see the need to run different blends.

I'm good to 45*, but my filter has twice the media as the factory pos.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I guess I don't see the benefit of using 3 tanks, or worrying too much about the cost of the little amount of Diesel used to start and stop on. Why bother? Start and stop on 100% diesel (use minimal fuel doing it) and switch to WMO when running

What your talking about doing will require hardware = money. WMO blends are about making cheap useable fuel./

For the record, I run my 100% of the time on WMO blend (W85 usually) year round, in Colorado. With good glow plugs and good injectors I have no issues.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I glad to hear about guys running this WMO in the winter without serious issues. hope mine works out too!

wmoguy

Reaction score
I glad to hear about guys running this WMO in the winter without serious issues. hope mine works out too!

I ran 80/20 blend last year Elk Hunting and have full intentions of doing so again this year. Trip was 10 days solid with morning temps were down to -14 one morning. Most mornings were -3 or so, with high temps of 15 degrees for the day.

Had no problems w/ 80/20 then.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 80/20 blend last year Elk Hunting and have full intentions of doing so again this year. Trip was 10 days solid with morning temps were down to -14 one morning. Most mornings were -3 or so, with high temps of 15 degrees for the day.

Had no problems w/ 80/20 then.

You're not running a factory fuel system ;Really

I'll have my Turbowerks pump installed in the next week along with a ****** tank in the bed. I'll only run it as a single tank system.

I may add valves to use the rear tank. I hope to install a 38 gallon tank. If I remove the bed this spring, I'll add ****** tanks to each side due to be possibly moving LTL freight next year. The more cheap fuel the better.

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
You're not running a factory fuel system ;Really

I'll have my Turbowerks pump installed in the next week along with a ****** tank in the bed. I'll only run it as a single tank system.

I may add valves to use the rear tank. I hope to install a 38 gallon tank. If I removed the bed this spring, I'll add ****** tanks to each side due to be possibly moving LTL freight next year. The more cheap fuel the better.

I was last year during Elk Hunting. ******* DPS Stage 1 injectors and all! :rotflmao