Hotwiring an IDI

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
First off 100% hypothetical

If for whatever reasson your ignition cylinder quit working, broke your key etc and were unable to start your truck to drive it home beyond the 1 wire to keep it running and 1 for the starter (trying to keep it partly vague...) anything specfic required for the E40D guys due to the tranny computer?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to be able to have the key and turn it, or you can't turn the steering wheel.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, so no promises. I would guess the e4od computer needs signal from key-on power. That same power goes to the IP so it might be as simple as running power through that wire. Just my SWAG. Id wait for input from others to be safe.

Glowplugs can be glowed manually with needle nose plies or a wire, or setup a switch...

Also steering lock. You could probably bust it if you force the wheel hard enough, or just remove the thingamajig that doe that

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is stupid easy to steal these trucks. pm riotwarrior for the info. I don't want this out in the open.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Definatly dont want this out in the open if we can help it (although Im sure the semi pros and up already know) thanks for the help you 2.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thought we had it posted a few times before? feel free to edit or delete my post if i was close LOL