Hot wire for electric fuel pump

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What would be a good switched hot wire to tap into for the relay trigger on the passenger side for the electric fuel pump that I'm installing on my '92 f350?

Thanks------------Robert

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
is there anything up in the tech articles?
if not, i guess it's time for someone to get busy... Tim?

i haven't done that mod yet, so i can't help, but i would think it would be preferred to have a new, fused power supply w/ relay, and only activated by the 'key on' circuit???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I didn't find anything in the tech articles.
I've got the thing all rigged up with a 30 amp breaker and a relay. It's all ready to go except for a hot trigger.

---------Robert

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I looked for the wire that was hot on key ON, I believe it was the yellow one? I did install it on my truck and I'm supossed to write a doc about it so maybe I should do it. The 30 amp relay is good, I ussed power from the battery to the pump but to activate the relay I used a wire from the box on the driver side that was hot on key ON it was yellow I think, again. You have a 92 mine 93 should be the same.

6_Myles

I be architect'n
Reaction score
Hello everyone, been a long time lurker here and member at TDS... and a question about the mentioned relay for this project brings me out of the lurking "closet." What is the purpose of the relay? And if I understand the above post right the hot is run from the batt. to the pump, then a separate line is run from a switched source to the relay and then to the pump. I must not understand this correctly, b/c the relay wouldn't provide power to the pump?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
6_Myles said:
What is the purpose of the relay? And if I understand the above post right the hot is run from the batt. to the pump, then a separate line is run from a switched source to the relay and then to the pump. I must not understand this correctly, b/c the relay wouldn't provide power to the pump?

The power to the pump goes from the battery through a circuit breaker through a relay to the pump. The relay requires a switched hot wire that only goes hot with the key in start and run position, to trigger the relay to pass the high current through the relay from the battery to the pump.

----------Robert

Robby

Reaction score
i hooked into the red wire on the glow plug controller for my relay trigger when I installed my fuel pump.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Robby said:
i hooked into the red wire on the glow plug controller for my relay trigger when I installed my fuel pump.

That's where I ended up hooking in. Works great and the wiring worked out just right because I have a replacement wire from the starter relay to the glow plug controller so I just put them in the same casing and routed it back there.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I'm using the IP kill wire as my switching source. Any reason not to?

I don't see any reason why not. I ran my trigger wire, from the cruise control harness. It was in the right area, to keep my trigger wire run fairly short.

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mat j found the red/light green striped wire behind the wts light to be hot crank/ key on. im using it for my relay trigger and its been good so far.