hose conversion for those running bio...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing the results of Bio(and whatever fuel cocktail) for the last two to three years in our trucks(IDI's both ford and chevy), and the results have been quite good compared to the brainiac motors. Most of the system will tolerate the toxics in the fuel except for a couple of areas. Good thing for us IDI'ers, much of our system is already fitted with synthetic rubber O-rings. Two small areas aren't as ready though. Any part of the fuel delivery and return system with rubber hoses are suspect to Bio feul penetration and degradation. Often, the only time you will realize the damage is when the IP ingests rubber hose particles and slowly looses flow or worse yet, locking up. This has been a huge headache for municipal diesel fleets running strictly on Bio(yea kali). With the recent price vairiance in feul type costs, I decided to start feeding my truck on Bio but not without a mod on the hoses first.
Goodyear hose does have a product that does tolerate most exotic fuels currently offered. For the techies check out the specs...
this is for the Bio or whatever fuel cocktail you are feeding your truck...
http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=5144
this is the product for regular #2
http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=1522
how to tell the two item apart?
First, the Bio compatible hose has a blue nitrile rubber inner liner compared to the all black regualar hose.
Second, the cost of the stuff will leave you sitting on your ass. I just picked up a 25' roll of 3/8" and 5/16" and with tax the cost was a little over $200.:eek: You can bet I will be charging accordingly for the materials for the conversion workcookoo:backoff

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parker SuperFlex

FYI, Parker makes a barrier style hose, which has a thermoplastic layer designed to drastically lower any permeation of fuels, and it meets ASTM biodiesel compatibility. I am planning on changing all my return lines over to this product as mine are the original Ford lines.

R. J.

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=226

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing the results of Bio(and whatever fuel cocktail) for the last two to three years in our trucks(IDI's both ford and chevy), and the results have been quite good compared to the brainiac motors.

TC.....I'm curious what you are seeing on the "braniac motors", both good and bad, because I'm getting ready to start burning B100 in my sic-O now that dino and bio prices around here are about the same.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Any of the fuel line that is rated for fuel injection systems is supposed to be same as the stuff rated for bio diesel. I put a set of the fuel injection hoses for all the rubber on one of my diesel cars that runs WVO and bio, except for the return lines betweeen the injectors 3 years ago, and they are all in great shape, except the return lines, which I just had to replace with viton.

I think that fuel injection stuff runs me about $8 a ft at Advance

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TC.....I'm curious what you are seeing on the "braniac motors", both good and bad, because I'm getting ready to start burning B100 in my sic-O now that dino and bio prices around here are about the same.
tonkadoc-
sorry I haven't checked in on this thread in a while.
Two things that have been popping up across the brands....
1) Rubber hose and O-ring failure
2) accelerated injector erosion. ie...early injector failure. Not the end of the world for the IDI gang but for PSD's that's a pricey job.

Albin

Reaction score
To install my pre-pump filter, I used about 6 feet of SAE-J30R9 fuel injection hose from Auto Zone at about $4 per foot. It's the only fuel line I'll use from now on - I'll never use the SAE-J30R7 stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online