Hood scoop?

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone run a functioning hood scoop?
My idea is to run something similar to the 70ish camaro (way forward on the hood) and build an air box under it so when the hood is closed it seals to the air box.
The other idea is to just cut some holes in the rounded over hood (89) into a similar box.
A cone type filter could be used or the stock filter. A drain could also be built into the box for any water to drop out before getting to the filter.
I don't want to listen to a cowl induction or cut the radiator support anymore than I have to with an intercooler.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about it, but how would you keep the water out? I just picture driving through a torrential downpour, and the whole system gets flooded with water entering in. Drains to keep the water out while it's just sitting there would be easy like you said.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about it, but how would you keep the water out? I just picture driving through a torrential downpour, and the whole system gets flooded with water entering in. Drains to keep the water out while it's just sitting there would be easy like you said.

That was my issue about a scoop. Not worth it even if it only shuts me down 5 days a year.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
That was my issue about a scoop. Not worth it even if it only shuts me down 5 days a year.

Ditto for me. I've been envisioning some kind of butterfly type valve to close my theoretical scoop off and divert to an inclement weather bypass. For a top-of-hood setup, I was thinking a cable-operated butterfly at the front, and flaps of rubber over holes thru hood inside the scoop that act as one-way reed valves...the intake suction would pull them open when butterfly is closed. I am a dreamer, I freely admit.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto for me. I've been envisioning some kind of butterfly type valve to close my theoretical scoop off and divert to an inclement weather bypass. For a top-of-hood setup, I was thinking a cable-operated butterfly at the front, and flaps of rubber over holes thru hood inside the scoop that act as one-way reed valves...the intake suction would pull them open when butterfly is closed. I am a dreamer, I freely admit.

I saw that system, but its been many years ago.

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pondering air intake and front bumper ideas yesterday. I thought a custom front bumper (incorporating some tow hooks) could also add some openings to feed the lower part of the radiator. Then got to thinking that part of an opening on the drivers side could be necked down to about a 3" tube that could come from below radiator mount (not changing that at all) and point up at an angle that would clear power steering pump. Then, in bottom of factory plastic intake, attach a short 3" with flange, and connect these with a hose and clamps (so it is still easy to remove). I figured coming from that low it shouldn't allow much water in (assuming you are not fording a deep creek) and it would add to the factory designed airflow, not fully replace it. More pondering required.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online