Hood blanket?

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one have a hood blanket for sale? Can't find one anywhere and I don't really like dynamat.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for one that's actually molded to the hood. Not sure how well a straight piece of insulation will stick to the hood with the cross members.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Wish I would've known there was a market for them, threw mine out last summer (sagging slightly and just completely coated in dust/soot but could've been cleaned)

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine doesn't have one either. IMO, it's just another thing the rats can use to build a nest under my hood.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd leave it off but it's a lot quieter with one and the paint is starting to burn off the hood even with the 160 thermostat.

Just a little advice for you sir, if you are running an aftermarket 160 degree thermostat, I strongly encourage you to change that out ASAP with these engines. In the summer, aftermarket thermostats for our rigs do not pass enough water through them, causing mild overheating issues. During the winter, they struggle to get the engine to normal operating temps. Running a cooler thermostat isn't doing your engine any favors either. Cooler thermostats= increased engine wear. The OEM motorcraft thermostat is the only one recommended for our diesels. I know from experience too. I had an aftermarket Murray thermostat in mine. It would never warm up in the winter and overheat during the summer. The motorcraft t-stat fixed all of my issues and is cheap insurance ;Sweet.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little advice for you sir, if you are running an aftermarket 160 degree thermostat, I strongly encourage you to change that out ASAP with these engines. In the summer, aftermarket thermostats for our rigs do not pass enough water through them, causing mild overheating issues. During the winter, they struggle to get the engine to normal operating temps. Running a cooler thermostat isn't doing your engine any favors either. Cooler thermostats= increased engine wear. The OEM motorcraft thermostat is the only one recommended for our diesels. I know from experience too. I had an aftermarket Murray thermostat in mine. It would never warm up in the winter and overheat during the summer. The motorcraft t-stat fixed all of my issues and is cheap insurance ;Sweet.

No problems yet but I'll change that out when I have time this summer.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really want one, but NOT guanteed to be fire proof, take the hood off and spray it lightly with foam, may take several cans. Get the double expansion stuff. Smooth it out, get some extra heavy aluminum foil, then spray both with contact cement and apply the foil.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tired to find the hood insulator for my 1994 from Ford over a year ago, since the one in my turck is disintegrating. I had my dealer run a nationwide dealer search to see if any other Ford parts departments had one squirreled away in a corner of a dealership someplace. Not a single dealer had one anywhere in the country, so I can only imagine that the insulators are no longer availble for the bricknose either. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. The part number on the OBS insulator is F4TZ16738A. You could also check with Vintage Parts but you are going to need the correct part number to search. http://www.vpartsinc.com/

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
To quote oldbull8 get ya some high heat paint VHT paint black with primer and get the underside of the hood to bare metal and paint it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online