holy blue smoke

deisel379

Reaction score
1984 f-350 6.9 international diesel engine--=truck billoing blue smoke engine runs abnormaly quiet ,no power truck just dies when try to go ...any one have any ideas what could be the problem????has 4lbs fuel pressure ,new filter 1/2tank fuel

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year, make, model, engine specs please?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offhand, sounds like a bad injector pump. There's a nylon gear in the governor that has a nasty habit of disintegrating, and when it does, it fouls the check valve at the top of the pump that the return line's attached to. When the check valve gets fouled, the fuel doesn't return properly...and, for whatever reason, when the fuel return system's clogged, the pump's timing retards itself. The blue smoke, quiet engine, lack of power, and dying are all symptoms of retarded timing.

I would pull the check valve (the black piece with an elbow screwed onto it; the elbow's attached to the metal return line) and see if it's gunked up. There's a spring-loaded ball inside the valve; it should move freely. If not, you could replace the check valve for a VERY temporary fix (or, for that matter, with a small sharp object like an electrical test lead, you can clean out the one you have), but if it's gunked up, it's time for a pump.

If that checks out okay, I would have the timing checked...

Hope this helps...good luck!

deisel379

Reaction score
new ip time

thanks for the help ..new injector pump is on the way have not checked elbow but to elemente pump in question im replaceing it yet cus its 3 degrees outside thanks again
Offhand, sounds like a bad injector pump. There's a nylon gear in the governor that has a nasty habit of disintegrating, and when it does, it fouls the check valve at the top of the pump that the return line's attached to. When the check valve gets fouled, the fuel doesn't return properly...and, for whatever reason, when the fuel return system's clogged, the pump's timing retards itself. The blue smoke, quiet engine, lack of power, and dying are all symptoms of retarded timing.

I would pull the check valve (the black piece with an elbow screwed onto it; the elbow's attached to the metal return line) and see if it's gunked up. There's a spring-loaded ball inside the valve; it should move freely. If not, you could replace the check valve for a VERY temporary fix (or, for that matter, with a small sharp object like an electrical test lead, you can clean out the one you have), but if it's gunked up, it's time for a pump.

If that checks out okay, I would have the timing checked...

Hope this helps...good luck!

deisel379

Reaction score
on the road again

thanks for the help ..new injector pump is on the way have not checked elbow but to elemente pump in question im replaceing it yet cus its 3 degrees outside thanks again
replaced pump all set running great OLD PUMP WELL WORN AND LOTS OF BLACK PARTICLES IN IT thanks again :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail :D :D

deisel379

Reaction score
Good to hear that all's well!! ;Sweet

Did you have the pump timing properly set?
i no after truck started timing was a little retarded (some smoke and lazy )so i advanced about 1/8"and smoke cleared up power came back ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin