Holley fuel pump

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Holley red fuel pump in a few years ago. All was fine but lately the pump cuts out. The wiring is good. It just stops and then starts. I was told they are only good for gas, but I got the idea from here. I have also seen teh green Mr Gasket pumps which are cheaper, but they say fuel transfer and I'm not sure if they can keep up with the demand for these fuel hogs.

Any thoughts? I know there will be. Haha.

wmoguy

Reaction score
most on this board really favor the carrier pump provided you are just using straight diesel, no fuel cocktails. Genlightning is the guy to go to for a group buy price on them, or I have one thats new in the box for sale if you need one.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most on this board really favor the carrier pump provided you are just using straight diesel, no fuel cocktails. Genlightning is the guy to go to for a group buy price on them, or I have one thats new in the box for sale if you need one.

I got one of these and have been running it ok for a few weeks now. One thing I found out is when reving the truck out, if a lead for power comes off the pump, the truck will be down a bit on power, but still driveable, kind of like it stumbles :)

Good to know you can atleast get off the road if this happens I guess. That is with a prefilter before the pump as well.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Install a carrier pump. They work very well. In fact they are good enough for the refrig trailers you see going down the roads all the time. I ran a holley red till it finally wore out. the brushes eat upthe comunitater on them. So I installed my spare...:mad:-cuss It onlylasted about 8 months till it wore out in the same way as the other that went well over 150,000 miles.....I'm guseeing the material they are made out of has changed. I do know they are no longer made in the usa but in mexico now...:mad:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
maybe there is a restriction in my lines but the holley carter and airtex pumps couldent keep my engine fed on even light cocktails when it got cooler out.

i actaully have put my stock lift pump back in and plan to plumb a bypass with my electric carter in case of failure. midnight rider has talked about it numerous times if you want to search his posts.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need a pump today so I'm trying a Carter P4070. The tech line said it is compatible with diesel.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My blue pump I had on a gasser years ago only lasted 2-3yrs. From what I hear thats about normal on something thats driven regularly. Pretty much that whole line of pumps is really geared more for performance than reliability. Its either time for a rebuild or get another.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got 5 years on my Holley Red, and it's starting to show it's age. Fuel pressure is there.......... sort of.......... 2.5 psi at idle and close to zero with throttle.

Heath

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a Holley red fuel pump in a few years ago. All was fine but lately the pump cuts out. The wiring is good. It just stops and then starts. I was told they are only good for gas, but I got the idea from here. I have also seen teh green Mr Gasket pumps which are cheaper, but they say fuel transfer and I'm not sure if they can keep up with the demand for these fuel hogs.

Any thoughts? I know there will be. Haha.

i tried that green Mr gasket.
20k miles/1 year and she was toast.luckily it just didn't turn on,one morning when i was in the drive,so i didn't get stranded or anything.
put on the Carrier Transicold (re-badged FACET DURA-LIFT) #30-01108-02SV here from doug,and she's going great.
what's nice is,they're made for pulling rather than pushing like a normal electric pump.so you can mount them up in the engine bay for easy service.:thumbsup:

Need a pump today so I'm trying a Carter P4070. The tech line said it is compatible with diesel.
that was my second choice pump after researching.pusher only,but appears to be reliable as well.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Carter in. It's a great kit. Everything you need was there. It's a lot quieter than the Holley. So far working well. The tech line was great too. I called them to see if it was rated for diesel fuel and the y said it was. The only downside was they had 3/8" hose fitting that no amount of heating could slip in the factory fuel line. Had to swap them out for 1/4".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online