high egts???

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
i was pulling a hill 5-7% grade for about 5 miles and my gross weight was about 11,500 pounds and my egts were about 1150 and my temp was getting hot i was at the L on the normal on the temp gauge and i was about 45 mph. i still had alot of pedal left... is this normal or is there any way to cool it down or what... i have the ats down pipe 3" straight pipe and a cold air intake and a new 4 row radiator... anything i can do let me know... thanks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make damn sure you fan is working, I bet it isnt.

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
im pretty sure that it is working cause once i stop pulling my temp goes right back to the normal driving temp. and i was also pulling at 2500 rpm so idk if the fan would engage at that rpm

suv7734

Reaction score
Information on the truck would be helpful. Year, N/A vs turbo, transmission type, rear drive ratio etc would be helpful. Was that 11,500 GCWR or 11,500 trailer weight?

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
Information on the truck would be helpful. Year, N/A vs turbo, transmission type, rear drive ratio etc would be helpful. Was that 11,500 GCWR or 11,500 trailer weight?

its a 1993 F-350 7.3l idi ats turbo diesel, crew cab, long bed, E4OD with a gear vendor over/under drive, 4x4, rear end is stock gearing not sure, single tire rear end, (not a dually) truck weight=7300 trailer=1000 and jeep on trailer=3200 GCWR=11,500 pounds i was putting out about 7 pounds of boost while pulling. if there is anything else that would help you further in my quest for and answer i would be happy to answer thanks

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'd be looking at the fan as well. Could you hear an extra "roar" as the temp gauge started to climb?

If not you could be looking at replacing the clutch.

I'd also be looking at getting a mechanical gauge to get some real time water temps.

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
I'd be looking at the fan as well. Could you hear an extra "roar" as the temp gauge started to climb?

If not you could be looking at replacing the clutch.

I'd also be looking at getting a mechanical gauge to get some real time water temps.

i cant hear it all that much anytime... is there an easy way to check to see if it is still engaging or not??

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can't hear it roar, then it's definitely not working right. No need to test it I'd say. Do yourself a big favor though, and get an aftermarket electric or mechanical temperature gauge. The factory gauge is worthless, not to mention dangerous.

JEEPSPEEDPULER

Reaction score
i was on my buddys account but it is my truck... thanks for all of the help... would the high engine heat be a cause for the higher egts or should i not worry about the the temp that they were at...