Heres one for the electrical gurus

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put the shift lever into 2 or 1 (E4OD) it blows the fuse for the instrument panel gauges everytime. Could this be a wiring issue or maybe a sensor of some sort. I just replaced my fipl and abs sensor so maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks,
Derek

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know much about the E40D, but it sounds like it might be a wiring problem when your gear shifter is pushed down to a certain point maybe it is pushing on some wiring that is bare and making contact.:dunno

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats my thought too, look under the dash above the steering shaft and you'll see the shift linkage. Have some one move it with the battery unhooked and see if its touching anything, its possible that someone put some extra wiring in there and now its getting pinched.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the linkage from the trans, that way you can rule out anything in the trans doing it. If it is the mechanical action of the lever causing it, that should allow you to figure that out and fix the appropriate area.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys, I'll try it next time I'm under there.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the wire coming out of the shift arm for the overdrive off switch up on the column. Take the plastic cover off and tape the wires up where they rubbed through just outside of the shifter. Very common problem on Fords. I used to fix at least three of these a day when I worked at the tranny shop. I might be just one tiny little area on it but it's there. In fact I just fixed on with the same issue yesterday on a Texas DOT truck

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brimmstone!
Would this also cause the overdrive button not to work? Mine hasnt been working i figured I just needed a new switch.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely. If one of these wires rub completely in two the overdrive off switch will no longer work

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brimmstone, by plastic cover do you mean the one on the column? Just want to be sure before a take everything apart.

thanks

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. You need to take the ignition tumbler out first. I usually pull the knee panel out and then the trim panel around the gauges. It gives you some more wiggle room and if you end up having to replace the whole arm because the wires have broken up inside the arm. You already have all the access you need to get the wire out.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just want to let everyone know that Brimmstone was right. 2 of the 3 wires in the shifter arm were worn down to the copper.