Here it goes? over heating?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I think you probably have an external head gasket leak. Clean off the block real well and get a cooling system block tester and see where your leak(s) are. Do you have a real gauge or still the factory gauge? Normal range is 190-212*F. Warmed up. If you had a head gasket leak the biggest sign is dumping coolant like crazy. Also if it is antifreeze...you will smell this sickening sweet pungent odor around the tailpipe and wherever the smoke is.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
the weird part is it is not leaking? does not smoke while running? i did notice was running today there is more oil in it now still black and slick? does blow by cause over heating?

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
oh Crap, more oil? I'm thinkin' oil cooler leak letting water into the oil. That's where water is going. Some into oil, some out side of block? OG
h2odrx said:
the weird part is it is not leaking? does not smoke while running? i did notice was running today there is more oil in it now still black and slick? does blow by cause over heating?

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any word on your troubles? I am going to look at a truck with similar issues this weekend... 6.9L that overheats but does not appear to be leaking or burning coolant. Strange! I just want a cheap diesel pickup to run WVO in, and these engines look to be pretty darned nice. Is it safe to assume that a worst-case scenario is probably warped head(s)? Anyone paid to have these machined, or know what it might run a guy to do so? Thanks in advance!

Chris

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question one - did the truck overheat before you bought it?

One some vehicles it is possible to install the thermostat backwards, which would cause overheating. The spring must be on the motor side.

Barring that, I would change the water pump. The impeller fins can rust or wear away without the pump leaking.

These diesel radiators are plenty large, there has to be a good reason for it to overheat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be sure the overheat is real, and not imagined. The IVR is responsible for a lot of "overheating".

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"have had to add water alot"

That would indicate at the least a leak. Either the coolant is leaking out and the engine is overheating when it gets low, or the motor is boiling off the coolant from overheating.

Now where or why is the question that needs answered...

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think :confused: i saw another thread where h2odrx found the problem. broken head bolts.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
well from what i see so far the pump is ok, i will rebuild the oil cooler but don't think it has anything to do with it? just want to make sure while it is all apart. two broken head bolts #1 and #10 on pass side just enough to let compression into the coolant and force water out of rad. i'll be taking heads to shop in the next day or so. cookoo

Chris,
what year is it? and if its cheap do it! just think you will add what you pay for it back in to it to get it where you know it is right !!

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an 86, if memory serves. 6.9 for sure, 2wd. He's asking $500 but has had it for a while. If it looks halfway decent I'll make an offer and plan on making a project of it, maybe. I have a 98 Jetta TDI and have owned a couple old Mercedes diesels... I'm sold on these things! I'd like to try a WVO conversion with a beater truck, so this might be just the ticket. Thanks for all the advice!

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Be sure the overheat is real, and not imagined. The IVR is responsible for a lot of "overheating".

OK, I give. What's the "IVR?" Owner of the truck I might go look at says it got hot enough to pop the block heater right out! :eek:

Thanks again for all the advice!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
IVR = instrument voltage regulator

as for poping the block heater out. make sure it is not cracked? these trucks can take alot but for $500 a project is a project, talk him down?

PS Welcome to the site you will find alot of your questions answered in the tech art.. if not post here these guys have alot of great info!!!!

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, h20drx! I'll definitely be doing some reading in the FAQ and plenty of searches had already been performed. If the truck is halfway decent I'll probably offer $350 or $400 and see if I can haul it home. I don't mind tinkering and it'll be a nice learn-as-you-go project. Thanks again for the advice and the welcome to the site!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner