Help!!

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is finally warm enough to check out stuff on Marge till I get the starter for it, I definetly need to replace battery clamps and a few other things.
However I did notice two things that I need assistance on cuz I don't have diagram or repair manual to tell me. First of all there is a 2 prong hookup running in line with GP harness that looks like it plugs into the valve covers that isn't plugged in. I'm new to diesel engines and really haven't been able to look her over like I wanted to.
Second the fuel filter was replaced before I bought it and I noticed underneath the filter there is a knob that has diesel all over it and slowly leaking. This knob is connected to a metal line that runs down the engine that stop and isn't connected and is slowly dripping diesel. I'm not sure what this means and need some advice before I get to far ahead. Any info is greatly appreciated

Tell 'em Large Marge Sent Ya!!!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the 2 prong plug, pictures would help. Also drivers or passenger side?

The knob under the filter is to drain the water that has been separated from the fuel. The metal line is supposed to push on the bottom of the knob so that the water being drained goes to the ground and not all over the engine

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!! Theres alot of good old idi knowledge on this site and always glad to help and ill see if i can.

First is your 2 prong harness running along with the gp harness. Not quite sure what its for. May be something aftermarket that was removed such as a factory grid heater that goes in the intake throat under the air filter. I wish i had my diagrams in front of me but i cant find the darn things.

Second is your leaking fuel bowl. The valve leaking is actually used for the draining of water out of the separator or any other unwanteds. Try unscrewing it first out almost all the way and then retighten it and start it up to see if that solves your leak. If not then you may have to order a new fuel bowl. I dont know if theres an o-ring kit for the fuel bowl or whatever. Ive heard some guys using rtv to reseal some things on the fuel bowl or the filter head ( where your fuel lines come in and what the filter screws to). I would consider ordering a new fuel bowl so you know everything is good and leak free.

Hope i helped a tad.....Merlin

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
2 prong harness is not part of the glowplug system.
Idi's never came with a grid heater.

It goes behind the thermostat neck down deep in there.
It's for the cold timing advance and high idle.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend going with a Wix 33417 fuel filter instead, the bowl is part of the filter and thus there is one less seal to worry about.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this is so cool!! I should have joined along time ago it's nice having other diesel owners input. Hopefully someday I can be as good as the rest of ya and help.
Anyways all these issues ar on the pass side towards the front. The 2 prong connection is coming out of the wrap that binds up the GP harness and the connection is close to the first GP in the block. Sorry no pics to dark and I wouldn't even know how to post.
Is the water relief valve suppose to have fluid coming out without engine running? I can't get her running till I get a new starter. Does anyone have access to engine diagram or a link to pics so I can get a better look? Thanks for all your info fellas!!

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the water relief valve suppose to have fluid coming out without engine running? I can't get her running till I get a new starter.

The ONLY time that valve should have anything running out of it is when you open it to drain out water that has amassed inside of the filter bowl.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid is coming out by knob and at the end of the line. So if I can't fix it I need to replace the bowl?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's something wrong with the drain valve in the bowl yes, if you have it closed. Check to make sure it is closed.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see where the female part of the 2 prong hooks up to the male part. So I should plug it back in then? I know that sounds dumb, I've heard frm others if it's not hooked up then there is a reason and don't mess with it. Can't always trust what some other "who has worked on a car a few times and calls themselves a mechanic". I was thinking that the PO mite have forgot to hook it back up??

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Take pictures so we can see what you are taking about. The 1 piece filter is the way to go and is available a napa if thats more convenient to you

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Someone forgot it, or couldn't find it.

You may be able to fix the water drain. Take the bowl off and clean it up real good.
IIRC, there's an oring you can replace.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as I can I'll get a pic on here, by the way how do I post a pic?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
save it in your computer. then go advanced under quick reply. it has an option you click on to choose file

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try to get some on here tomrw