Help!

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
1994 7.3 IDI great power starts easy and will run down the road at 75 no prob....however....I removed the radiator cap earlier today and found oil in my water....no water in the oil pan and its not showing any signs of any kind of water in the exhaust. She starts and runs easy no smoke of any kind while running except on initial startup and its grayish white in color.....thinking i may have a head gasket blown.
Any and all thoughts or ideas are welcome.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Probably the oil cooler o-rings.

It's basically at the base of the oil filter, long tube thing.

Others have done the job, can't remember if you have to jack up the engine a little or not.

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! Muchly appreciated! was about to set down and cry earlier today thought for sure my truck was on the downhill side of going DOA.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
as posted... Its probably just the cooler o-rings have gone hard but.... Do that job the right way. Plenty of differant ways of fixing this issue. When your done fill the cooling system with water and Dawn dishwashing detergent. Run it for a day or two and drain it out using the block drains and the radiator drain. The block drains will get almost all the water-oil mess out. Do the detergent and water again. Drain it out and refill with coolant and distilled water. Any oil still in the cooling system will end up in the coolant recovery tank. Drain that as needed or soak up the floating oil with some paper towels....

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
Wow never thought of using Dawn in my cooling system to get the oil out so i thank you for that advice was planning on spending a bunch of time and money on flushes for the next few weeks, I like the dawn idea better.
Plywood pointed me to a great thread on the rebuild so i plan on doing it right the first time cant afford to have this truck down much right now so i appreciate all of the help and advice. You all ROCK!!!

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
:rock::rock::rock:

I'm glad he said that about the dawn.

I used a little laundry detergent when I did my heads since I know I got a little oil it the water jacket in the process, but have been afraid to admit it.;Really

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it works pretty good to get the grease stains out of your clothes when you get done fixing your IDI. My wife knows to spot treat just about everything I wear 'cause I can't stay out of the shop no matter what I'm wearing. Like the commercials say, it cuts grease.

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
LOL...I will let the wifey know about the Dawn in the wash also....she usually uses shout and it does ok but i have a few shirts and jeans that are permantly stained. Not looking forward to doing this repair on my oil cooler but i guess if i want to play i have to pay.