Help with making a 24V tag light

Reaction score
We were able to tag and insure my old deuce. I used an old bracket from god only knows where that I think my dad had lying around long before I had it lying around. So now the challenge is I have to install a tag light. I would really like to avoid a citation. Because money is so tight I would like to use something I have lying around and make my own 24V light. I have plenty of stuff to use if I could install a 12V. So does anybody have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC03918.JPG
    DSC03918.JPG
    648.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC03919.jpg
    DSC03919.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 3

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could just use two 12V bulbs for your tag light, wired in series. You will have to find a light that has two wires, and does not rely on its mounting for a ground. A very cheap way to go would be to (now that Christmas is over) use a string of clear or white Christmas lights. Count the number of bulbs on the strand, divide 120 by that number, and that tells you the voltage each bulb uses. For instance a 50 light strand, is using bulbs that run on 2.4 volts each. To use up your 24 volts, just take 24 and divide by 2.4, which gives you 10. So you would cut 10 bulbs out of the strand (make two cuts, one on each side of the string of 10), bundle them up, put them in a regular lamp case, and walla... A very merry tag light. LOL

Reaction score
That link has some col stuff. I was going to do just like you suggested and install the tag under the tail light. But it looked as though it would hang in a bad spot and be prone to damage.

Do not htink I will not try the Christmas light idea. I would do it just to see what it looks like.

I think I have a solution. I have a few things I have to dig out first though.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
What about using a 12 volt light with a resistor inline to cut the voltage to the light?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could be done, but the resistor is going to get pretty hot and will have to be a high wattage unit.

Reaction score
That would be nice becuase then I could use the bulbs and light assemblies I already have. But, that also means I have to purchase the resistor.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gimme a bulb number of a light you have and I'll compare it to the 24 volt bulbs we use on the buses at work. I believe an 1836 should do the job just off the top of my head

Reaction score
Oh man, I will have to dig them out now. If you can get lights from busses we need to talk. I want some amber lights for this truck.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you have or need and I'll look through my spare parts at the yard.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can definitely hook you up with the 28 volt peanut bulbs but I'm not sure about having any actual lights for on top of the cab.