Help with injector removal

pacaman

Reaction score
I pulled some of my injectors, one of them the copper bushing did not come out with the injector and is lodged in the bottom of the hole. Anyone have and good ideas on how to get it out, all of the easy stuff has not worked.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I had to fashion a homemade ice pick to clean out all the carbon in my injector bores. Dental picks would be excellent for this task. I have yet to find a time saving way to clean these bores, so you need to just take your time and keep digging away at the carbon. It sucks but got do it.

P.S. I would consider trying to pad the top of the radiator and batteries so when you are laying on the top of the engine that stuff is not digging into your sides and stomach.LOL

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have reused the stuck sealing washer when it can't be removed easily. Just installed the injector in that hole without a new washer. I know this is not the right way to do it but I have gotten away with it and had no problems. If it is the lower part of the injector body that got stuck (came unsrewed when removed), I made a tool from and old injector to hook a slide hammer to and pop the lower part if the injector out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually tapping it with a screw driver and hammer loosens it up. Just be careful about how hard you hit the copper washer. Is the bore full of carbon... If so that gasket was leaking and the seat in the head may be damaged. An ice pick or dental tool point dragged around the surface will tell you if there is a cut in the seat. The pick will stop when a cut is found because it falles into it.

Bryce_Burden90

Reaction score
I've got a set of small picks that I bought off the Snap-On truck the other day for this specific purpose, but before that I had a small pocket screwdriver that I bent the tip of at a 90 deg angle to hook the washer and extract it from the injector bore.

Bryce

pacaman

Reaction score
Thanks fore the help

I had already tried to pull it with a pic and could not get it between the washer and the bottom or move it at all. I was able to get it out with a 3/8" x 4" lag bolt. I then took a while scraping the bottom around the edges to get the carbon out.

The orginal problem was that the injector was not sealed properly cauing the cylinder to missfire. the injector was coated with carbon.

Thanks again for your help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.