help with front end

IH444t

Reaction score
So my truck has super bad camber. i dont know if it is ball joints that could cause it or what. But i was wondering what would you guys check for on the front end or what you possible think it is just by my question. thanks

Attachments

• truck 2.jpg
    truck 2.jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 27
  • truck 2.JPG
    truck 2.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 28

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a floor jack and put it on one side under the lower balljoint. Jack it up at that point till the wheel is off the ground, and then put your hands at 6 and 12 o'clock and wiggle the tire. Then put your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock and wiggle the tire. Play at 6 and 12 can be balljoints and or wheel bearings. Play at 9 and 3 can be steering linkage play and wheel bearings also.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely agree with franklin2. Those pictures are pretty bad, I would definitely think it could be a combination of things, one of which would definitely be bearings. Those can do a serious number on camber.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And just out of curiosity, are both front springs the same height/length when compressed with the weight of the truck down on the ground?

IH444t

Reaction score
i will go and measure the springs and eyeball it, but i can tell you they are almost identical camber.

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on bertha(f350)i had i beam pivot bushings done,new wheel bearings done and shocks and it straightened the front end up,wheels stood up straight ,i couldnt believe the difference

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing to check ball joints or the way I was taught was to jack it up like was said above and take a pry bar and raise up on the tire. If its bad, you will feel it thunk as it takes up the slack in the ball joint. If it's not terrible, sometimes you will have to watch the ball joint and you will see the knuckle move relative to the axle.

Looking at that pic, I'd say you have multiple problems. Probably time to go through and put new bushings and wear parts everywhere at a minimum.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
In all actually, you could just have bad lower ball joints. Was this picture taken after backing up? The nature of the TTB (4x4 front) is to camber like that and toe in when you back up. Less so with the 2wd IFS. The effect is exacerbated by bad ball joints, bad tie rod ends, loose wheel bearings, or bad radius arm bushings.

IH444t

Reaction score
It is 2wd f250, I has new rotor hub assembly on it. The ball joints feel strong it's not moving, I wonder if the springs need replaced as well as the pivot bushing is worn out.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
They will recenter after lifting the axle beams or moving the truck forward. Did you torque the spindle nut to spec?