help with a chip.

guyintx

Reaction score
i was looking to buy a chip for my truck 05 cummins HO, but i can not decied wich one to buy. The edge chip looks good espically with the incab controller but i was wondering what you guys were running and how you liked it. one more thing i know that a chip will void the wararnty so i would pull it out if i ever took it back for warranty work. What about the egt plug that has to be installed in the manifold?? I am guessing that i could just put some kind of cap in there, but would the dealer still void the warranty?? Thanks for all your help, Guy

MUDDY

Reaction score
the stealership cant void wrrnty for a pyro probe

tell ya what power upgrade i used and enjoyed in my 3 gen. bullydog power pup downloader. if i did it all over again id choose the bdog again. right combo of ingriedients for good power, low rail prssr increase, and low egt for the amount of power made. :D timing/duration/prssr all in moderation. also easy to r&r

Whit

Reaction score
I agree with the Muddster, Bullydog downloader on the 04.5 is impressive to say the least........go fer it :D

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahahaha
i laugh...you can take the chips off all you want, we know when theyve been on..its called freeze frame data..just looking at rail pressures, timing adv, and boost pressures can void your warranty as fast as anything.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
hahahaha
i laugh...you can take the chips off all you want, we know when theyve been on..its called freeze frame data..just looking at rail pressures, timing adv, and boost pressures can void your warranty as fast as anything.

another one is Maximum Values data..... You would be surprised at just what those ECMs will hold for data.... and its not pretty if you're trying to get around a warranty problem.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
another one is Maximum Values data..... You would be surprised at just what those ECMs will hold for data.... and its not pretty if you're trying to get around a warranty problem.
yessirreee....oh and the velcro tabs that hold the chip to the PDC...like we dont know what those are for....my suggestion...leave it alone, most of the broke down diesels you see are not left alone, all of them are hopped up in one way or another..if you cant leave well enough alone (610ft lbs of torque) forget about warranty work and get any chip you want, some dealers will ignore the chip..others will take any info about power adders and send that info directly to chrysler...which voids ALL warranty..even the bumper to bumper. and as a mechanic...theres nothing i hate more than trying to fix something for someone who caused the problem in the first place but dont want to pay for what they did...its a great engine as is, there is nothing you can't pull and still be of legal weight without adding chips. if you MUST have one...stay away from tst...i've seen good results with the edge plug-in . you wont notice a lot with just a plug in though...unless you stack them...like a tst and edge..the edge will override the tst when the need arises(tst has no fuel managment...it will dump fuel till it melts injectors or pistons).

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p.s., disconnecting the battery will not erase freeze frame data....its there till its erased with a drb or similar scan tool. just a heads up.

guyintx

Reaction score
thanks for all of your input guys. i think i am going to take holtzer1's advice and not go with a chip. i cannot afford to fix something if it does go wrong.

Guy

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like performance as much as the next guy...but wait till your warranty is up...did everyone notice the 100 dollar deductible an all diesel warranty work now? i just noticed yesterday while looking at a warranty lift pump on an 04..."oooohhhhh bbbooooyyy" here we go again, this time we change the externally mounted pump with an in-tank pump...hopefully this will help, but the owner about hit the roof when we told him his truck with 12k on it had a 100 buck deductable.