Help... wants to die

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 7.3 PSD Went out to start my truck since it has been sitting for 2 weeks. started right up as normal then it tries to die. gauges stay working so i dont think its ignition problem.
I can rev it up and hold at rpm then it goes to idle cutting out like a misfire. when it goes to idle the throttle does nothing at all.
the only thing i have done is a complete oil change, HPOP drain and refill also and fuel filter and sea foam.
After the maintenance the truck was driven 25 miles to get all seafoam out of the system and make sure HPOP wasnt starving for oil.
I have a video but cant upload it here. So i put it on youtube.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Help, I need my truck, I cant pull my trailer with a Acura car.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a failing uvch

check engine light?

remove the oil cap and give a sniff... do you smell burnt plastic/wiring?

IPR nut could be loose

also check the ICP for oil at the pigtail

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya'll gonna love this .. plugged in scan tool, key on, engine off. No codes. Look under hood at IPR, good. ICP, good. smelled oil cap, good. Started it up, revved it a few times, back to normal. press scan on code reader, it messes up again, ***? did it 3 other times and messed up every time i hit scan.
So i guess my high dollar scan tool wont work with this engine. Works on my gas vehicles and works on my friends cummins. Losing my mind.:frustrate

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a Bosch unit. But made some calls and found out that this engine and factory ECU cant be scanned with a regular OBD II scanner while running. It will only allow read and resetting of codes in key on engine off.
Now I know. Either way i have a "miss" only at idle and thought i could see a code or something in live data to narrow it down.
Is there a way to check injector resistance with a DVOM? If so what are acceptable limits?
Quote...
(Generally you will see this with a scanner that is attempting to connect using Standard OBD-II protocol. If you can find someone with AE, and you set the connection settings to J1850PWM and NON-OBDII, it should connect without stuttering the engine. This is because with these settings the tool doesn't have to try to do any "auto-detect" for the protocol and it doesn't try to connect with OBD-II communication methods that the PCM doesn't like. Any tool that doesn't let you disable the "auto-detect" and OBD-II protocols is likely to cause the problem.)

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the video posted earlier was with the scanner connected? Or is it still behaving that way?

You can pull the valve covers and confirm that all injectors are flowing the same amount of oil from the oil spouts. If one injector has no oil or less than the others that would be the source of the miss. Oil should only be coming from the spouts and not on top where the solenoid is. armature clearance could also be an issue....does the miss go away when the engine warms up?

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the scan tool was hooked up trying to read live data that is why it would come and go every few seconds. put the scan tool away. it then was back the way it was. never occured to me scan tool would do that.
the miss does not go away at all at idle warm or cold. I dont know about anything above that point cant tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online