[HELP] Truck won't start

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't get a CLUNK from a starter relay/solenoid, more like a CLICK. When the lights go off with new batteries, that starter is pulling a 1000 amps or more, it's not the battery cables I don't believe. Be careful,you might burn the starter out.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't get a CLUNK from a starter relay/solenoid, more like a CLICK. When the lights go off with new batteries, that starter is pulling a 1000 amps or more, it's not the battery cables I don't believe. Be careful,you might burn the starter out.

Yes, you're right, but what you and I might describe as a 'click', another might call a 'clunk'. :dunno

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Alright, I took a video for you guys this morning. Maybe this will help.

https://vid.me/idZw

I also took a picture of the battery cable. Looks pretty rough, but it's been like that since I've had the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your engine is locked up, hydrolock or other wise. If you don't want to pull the GP's out, backup the engine Counterclockwise a 1/4 turn no more than that, use a 15/16" socket on the damper bolt, then try to start. If it turns and gets the clunk you can bet it's hydrolocked. By chance a valve will be open and it might start. You can screw around all day and never get the engine to start without doing something either way.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Your engine is locked up, hydrolock or other wise. If you don't want to pull the GP's out, backup the engine Counterclockwise a 1/4 turn no more than that, use a 15/16" socket on the damper bolt, then try to start. If it turns and gets the clunk you can bet it's hydrolocked. By chance a valve will be open and it might start. You can screw around all day and never get the engine to start without doing something either way.

Gonna have to go bring my tools over here. I'll try this out here in a little bit.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pull the glow plugs and try to see if the engine will turn over in case of water in the cylinders, then if it still isn't turning over, I would pull the starter, take it to your nearest autoparts store and have it tested, then pick up some new battery cables, those are probably a big part of your issue.

I learned the hard way about pulling spark plugs/ glow plugs the last time one of my vehicles refused to start, long story short on my long gone 92 BMW 325i, the computer got water logged and it causes the engine to shut down and make the fuel injectors pour fuel into the engine while it sat over night , and my buddy went to start it and the starter tore about 6 teeth off the flywheel, but it didn't bend a rod. The engine and transmission had to be pulled as a unit, was the biggest pain in the ass. It makes pulling the 7.3 turbo look like a cake walk.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I concur with hydrolock. I bet you had some rain while the truck sat for 3 weeks and the cowl seal is damaged. So rain water collects on top of the air filter housing and leaks past the center bolt. That bolt is supposed to have a rubber washer seal under it but many if not all of them are long ago lost. Best thing after you get the engine cleared is find any rubber washer seal in any wrecking yard and install it. you can also place a trash bag over the air filter housing and tie it off. then any rain water will drain off the top and not leak into the intake. Best to pull ALL the glow plugs and crank engine to clear the water. Any chance the coolant has dropped any in the radiator?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I concur with hydrolock. I bet you had some rain while the truck sat for 3 weeks and the cowl seal is damaged. So rain water collects on top of the air filter housing and leaks past the center bolt. That bolt is supposed to have a rubber washer seal under it but many if not all of them are long ago lost. Best thing after you get the engine cleared is find any rubber washer seal in any wrecking yard and install it. you can also place a trash bag over the air filter housing and tie it off. then any rain water will drain off the top and not leak into the intake. Best to pull ALL the glow plugs and crank engine to clear the water. Any chance the coolant has dropped any in the radiator?

It rained a lot out here. We had almost 3 straight weeks with just rain, so it's a very real possibility that those seals are broken. I'm gonna grab my toolbox here in a day or so and I'll pull all the GP's and try to crank.

Will that clear any water that's in the engine?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It rained a lot out here. We had almost 3 straight weeks with just rain, so it's a very real possibility that those seals are broken. I'm gonna grab my toolbox here in a day or so and I'll pull all the GP's and try to crank.

Will that clear any water that's in the engine?

When you get around to doing that, put some rags or something like that to catch any water or coolant that might come out. Clear water, your good to go hopefully, coolant, that's another story.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
When you get around to doing that, put some rags or something like that to catch any water or coolant that might come out. Clear water, your good to go hopefully, coolant, that's another story.
Sounds good. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before you try cranking the engine might drain some oil out first. If a cylinder filled with rain water some of it probably passed into the oil pan. Now water being heavier than oil will sink to the bottom. So opening the drain slightly will drain off most if not all the water in the pan. No sense running that water thru the entire engine.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
So loosen the petcock and drain a bit then pull the glowplugs?

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's like emptying water from your fuel filter- let it run until any water passes out and oil runs clean.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I'll be taking the glow plugs out tomorrow. Hopefully it will fix this.

The original seal was still on the air filter housing, but there was still a small bit of water in the housing, so I suspect that is what happens.

Let's see how it goes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online