HELP Truck Died

DieselChemist

Reaction score
When I left today, I was going up a hill and at the top I pushed the clutch in and it shut off on me. No shaking or anything. It fired right up. Then I went a little further on a straight part of the road and pushed the clutch in and it shut off again but fired right up. Then I drove around a little more and it stopped. but when I would push the clutch in it would shake a little bit. Before the first time it shut off I had already pushed the clutch in a couple times and nothing had happened.
Any Ideas.

Thanks
Bill

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
We had this happen acouple times.
Check and replace your fuel filter. It has enough fuel in the system to start, and will keep running after its moving and in gear but when you let the clutch out it has no rotating pull so it just dies.
Could be your problem.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
If it was a fuel filter or sucking air would it fire right up after it dies, like it does? I thought it would be hard to restart it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'll replace the fuel filter, how would you check it, by just looking inside?

Without a restriction gauge on the thing, it's pretty well impossible to tell what's going on inside the filter, but if you change the thing, bleed it off , fire it up and the problem stops, well, that's how you tell ;Sweet low tech process of elimination., and I agree, it sounds like a filter clogging up.Always carry a spare, you never know when you're going to pickup a bad batch of fuel. When they clog, they'll usually either act like yours, or if going down the road when you stand on the pedal, it doesn't do anything much over idle.

-----Robert

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's a fuel delivery problem. Fill the new filter with diesel fuel before installing. Could also be that your lift pump is defective.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What about the fuel restriction lite on the dash? I have seen mine start to glow once while driving at a higher than idle rpm. I changed the filter and its never happened again.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I just didn't know it could effect it like this. I have a new electric fuel pump on it.

Could this also be a sign, I didn't drive the truck for a couple weeks and got in it to go and let out on the clutch, it ****** back and forth surging but when I pushed the clutch in it was okay, after a few times of this it seemed to die down and was okay, I chalked it up to something being on the flywheel.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What electric fuel pump did you put in it? If it's too small a pump, it might not be able to keep up with fuel demand. Also, some of these fuel pump installation kits say to put a small can filter between the tank and the pump. If you did that, your restriction could be coming from that can filter.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What about the fuel restriction lite on the dash? I have seen mine start to glow once while driving at a higher than idle rpm. I changed the filter and its never happened again.

I've had the light go off on mine once when it was real bad, but a few other times, the light was a no show. I haven't bothered to look into the circuit to see what makes that one tick

----------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I just didn't know it could effect it like this. I have a new electric fuel pump on it.

Could this also be a sign, I didn't drive the truck for a couple weeks and got in it to go and let out on the clutch, it ****** back and forth surging but when I pushed the clutch in it was okay, after a few times of this it seemed to die down and was okay, I chalked it up to something being on the flywheel.

You could also have an air leak and the system may have drained down to the tank while sitting.

--------Robert

DieselChemist

Reaction score
The fuel pump is a Procomp Red which is the holley style. It is a max 7psi pump and came with two springs a 4 psi and a 9 psi. I left the 4 psi spring in it and that's how I have run it. The pump has been in there about a month. I read somewhere on here 4 psi was enough for the non-turbo trucks although I may be wrong.

There is no filter between the pump and the fuel filter.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run an inline filter between my Holley Red and the tank on the supply side, no problems here.... just keeps all the crud out of my stock filter which is nice with the homebrew biodiesel that I use. It doesn't seem to cause any restriction at all unless one of the filters is clogged. The 4psi should be OK, the stock pump makes about 4-6psi when it works like its supposed to. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt the e-pump is your problem unless its not moving fuel.