help tried to start it to smoke by turbo

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree that it doesn't seem completely accurate because only one bank had a catastrophic failure while the other was unscathed. But it is a good example of some sort of combustion catastrophe that led to the pre chambers blowing out, with ether being a likely cause.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly... it can very well happen (which was the video I was referring to). If you do happen to have another explanation for blowing the precups out of the heads with such force as to damage the block.. Do tell.

However, for giggles, lets say that it wont happen. What WILL happen is pre ignition (detonation of sorts) long before the piston has reached TDC which will flat hammer the rod bearings, pistons, rods, etc..

Considering the 2 minutes it takes to unhook the system... why risk it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I don't agree with what that fellow "claims" caused that block damage. I can tell you I agree there is damage but can't tell you what caused this. Remember.. This is the internet and what is said here needs proof. At least I need proof before I follow someones lead. Sadly this engine is shot too. Nothing can be done with the block but remember the pistons too have to be ruined because they stick out of the cylinders about 31 thousands. And clearly there has been piston to precup contact.

bowhunter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK,, this is Crazy. i never knew that would happen but makes sence... no matter if it is true or not. I just need to remove power if i use juice.

i went out just now and tried to start it... it spins over with NO issues but will not pop off. I tried to see if there was AIR in the fuel filter and nothing cam out, however niether did fuel ( not sure if it would). I dont have time to crack the lines and see if fuel is going to injectors rigth now.

any other idea? are they always hard to start or is this sucker just worn out?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have air intrusion. Crank it over for a few seconds then hit the filter purge.. Most likely, you'll get a hiss of air.

Fix the returns if you haven't already.. Then get some clear tubing on the supply side such as between the hard fuel line and lift pump. I'd bet you'll see air bubbles.

bowhunter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are talking about the shrader valve on the fuel filter? I pushed it and heard nothing and no fuel came out.

fix the returns? I had one hose in the back that leaked and i replaced it. Like i mentioned if it starts its seems to be fine.. just needs juice..

lease forgive me ignorance. im have never worked on a diesel and seems i picked a great one to start on..

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Crank the engine over a few times then jump out and press the valve on the filter head. If you don't get fuel, you've got air in the system which is why its a PITA to start.

By fix the returns... I mean send a message to Typ4 on here and order a return kit from him. That kit comes with all of the plastic caps and o-rings on top of the injectors, and the hard line olive seals on the filter head, injection pump feed, etc.

I would pick up some 1/4" tygon hose to run between the return caps. That way you can see if/where air is coming from.

There is a rubber line that goes from the hard line on the frame rail to the lift pump. Replace that as well.

Purge the air from the system and see what happens then. You can press the valve on the filter head while the engine is running and it should flow fuel from it. If its burping air, Let it run for a bit and check it again.

The return caps, o rings, and lines are the most common source of air leaks.

-EDIT-
Also... which i completely missed saying... If its cool out and the engine hasn't been ran, without glow plugs, it most likely wont fire off without starting fluid. If it starts and runs smooth on starting fluid, and starts fine when the engine is warm, fix the glow plug system.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When your having trouble starting a diesel if your smart get a remote start button, there cheap from any auto parts store. They hook to the battery positive and the small terminal on the fender starting relay. That way you can turn the key on to run and just start or try to start from out of the cab. Cranking it over that way, you can purge any air out the schrader valve as your cranking. If you don't have fuel coming out the valve, it will never start.

bowhunter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANKS for info. I assume it is a combonation of air and glow plugs.

once running, it fires right off if i shut it down and hit it again. but like i said i have NO fuel from schrader so im sure its air too. ill sent PM to get info on kit.
THANKS!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strongly advise caution when using a remote start switch....

NEVER LEAVE A REMOTE START SWITCH UNATTENDED....I DID IT SHORTED INTERNALLY AND LUIQUIFIED MY STARTER....

Now if I use one I remove one lead if going away from truck...thats was a near new starter....yes liquified the inside...smelled for days in my shop....and truck was outside but door open.

Yes air intrusion...return line kit and olives be the AdVice of the day.....

JM7.3CW

Black dawg

Reaction score
Yeah I agree that it doesn't seem completely accurate because only one bank had a catastrophic failure while the other was unscathed. But it is a good example of some sort of combustion catastrophe that led to the pre chambers blowing out, with ether being a likely cause.

The guys loses ALL credibility when he says the pre chamber was bouncing around in the cylinder. No way for it to fall into cylinder without huge damage to block or head, or pre chamber in much smaller pieces.

Black dawg

Reaction score
As far as the no start, do you have clouds of white smoke at the tailpipe with extended cranking?

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clear returns are awesome for tracking air in the system! Also had clear IP feed line, but it didn't seal well with regular hose clamps, and the parts store was out of stock on the fuel line clamps I needed, so I went to standard rubber fuel line. The filter head return line will show if there's air in there anyways.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys loses ALL credibility when he says the pre chamber was bouncing around in the cylinder. No way for it to fall into cylinder without huge damage to block or head, or pre chamber in much smaller pieces.

Im sure the Pistons and rods were in pieces. And could an accidental fill up of gasoline be a plausible cause?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online