Help the Tachless

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was driving today I was wondering what RPMs I am turning when I shift. What "feels" right to me is, I shift from 2nd to 3rd at around 20-25mph and from 3rd to 4th at 40-45mph. I have 33in tires and 3:55 gears I think. (axle code 73) Maybe if someone has the same specs as me could post. Im not just looking for shift points but trying to get a feel for the whole rpm range in each gear. But shift points work too :)

Example
2nd gear 15mph = x rpm
20mph = x rpm
25mph = x rpm

But for each gear. I am not sure how high you can even go since that is where i usually shift. I really have no idea what I shift at. I got the idea after reading the post about towing up a big hill with an IDI and someone said to just tach out 3rd and roll. I wouldnt even know where 3000 rpm would be in 3rd.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Go until it bounces off the govenor, then back off a little! :)

I have 4.10's so there would be a substantial difference.

What either gauge says makes no real difference anyway. You should be able to feel a sweet spot. Mine likes bunches of RPM's when pulling a load, yet will pull all day with no load in any gear. The load will also make a difference as I can yank 5-6000 lbs. up any hill around here if I can start the hill wound up in 3rd gear. 8,000 lbs. on the other hand drives significantly different, usually calling for 2nd gear on the same hill, no matter how I start up the hill. I pulled a 7 ton dozer a short distance once, but up the same hill I have pulled 100 times, I was in first with that load, but I was also being VERY careful. It just walked up the hill like always, slow, predictable and smooth.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sounds like your shifting around 2400 rpm's. I have to go into town later today, so I'll try it for ya.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get on Ebay and get yourself a cheap tachometer. You drive an old truck, which means you're most likely not making a car payment, so splurge a little on a tach. Trust me: you deserve it! ;Sweet

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know... I need to just get a tach cookoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbHIfuJytO4

my tach reads a little slow but it's within 200-300 rpm. it loses accuracy as rpms increase.

but as you can see 3.55 gears will take you to 60+ mph in 3rd and around 35 in 2nd.

Thats perfect. You started in 1st? You shift really smoothly, does the LUK improve shifting performance? I wonder if you can mod your shifter for a shorter shift. Mine is probably a 10in throw at least so it takes me forever to shift.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I know... I need to just get a tach cookoo

Thats perfect. You started in 1st? You shift really smoothly, does the LUK improve shifting performance? I wonder if you can mod your shifter for a shorter shift. Mine is probably a 10in throw at least so it takes me forever to shift.

yes i started in first. the truck was loaded down with firewood which made it bog a little from a stop.

the LUK clutch is OK, but it still chatters and now my clutch system is air locked (not the LUK's fault) so the truck is going nowhere until i can get that figured out.