Help removing windshield

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guitar string works the best for me... but if you have tried that already i dont know any other way :/

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHOA....hold on boys n girls......cut out many a windshiled.....I HATE wire!

First I am going to make the guess you want to pull one from your TRUCK?

If it is simple, but extremely difficult....ya I know makes no sense...

Simple cause you need a very good OLFA knife that holds the blade good n tight....LOTS N LOTS of blades...20 is a good start!
You must be registered for see images

Or better yet One of those and this here too
You must be registered for see images

Then a bottle of good soapy water lots n lots of dish soap making slippery water that won't harm anything

Remove outer trims and clips

remove all inner trims A pillars and forward headliner trim

On the outside of truck...cut along edge of glass down towards CAB cutting away all excess material and be carefull to not chip glass...then work that gunk out of the area so that there is no excess material left. Spray spray spray the ureathane with soapy water while cutting to lube the stuff so knife cuts it out nice and easy....

this makes cutting the windshield out a lot easier as your knife has less material to cut through.

Next on the inside of truck, spray around a top corner...lots n keep spray ready, start cutting with the knife from a corner down towards base of A pillar, you will need to make SLICES repeatedly in the same slice spraying to keep lubed and eventually you will cut through to outside...you will know when. Keep doing this technique around entire windshield and you can cut out windshield in about 25-35 minutes...

I suppose I can do a Pictutorial and maybe add video too...if requested, I will have to remove the windshield from my SC to replace it anyway, it's a prime candidate for doing such!

JM2CW ...done this lots n lots n lots...its easy but difficult cause yer arms ache when done from all the repeated slicing!

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just had my windshield replaced. Those guys have some really special cutting tools that slip under the glass and cut loose the rubber goo they use to hold the glass in place. If you close your hand and make a fist that first finger after the thumb is what the cutter head looks like.. This is a tuff job if you do it wrong... There are no second chances either..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Al, please go for it. I'll use this one for practice.
I'm a newb for glas replacement.
Got the side windows out easy though.

I'll post a picture of my damage later. Definitely fixable, but I'd rather have new nice and shiny.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, please go for it. I'll use this one for practice.
I'm a newb for glas replacement.
Got the side windows out easy though.

I'll post a picture of my damage later. Definitely fixable, but I'd rather have new nice and shiny.

OK I'll see what I can do in next few days, take some pics n what not, do the usual TECH 101 pictutorial...

I'll have to play with it for quite a while cause I'm limited in duration of work, when was top shelf, total less than hour by myself doing all the work of trim in/out and cutout..

For the absolute BOMB tool though you CANNOT beat this hands down!

Having used most every available method in the industry of autowrecking I can tell ya, that the inductor is absolute BOMB
http://www.theinductor.com/

http://youtu.be/tXPKXeI5s1Q

If I could afford this tool and all it's lil add ons, IT WOULD BE IN MY SHOP MONTHS AGO!!!

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Thats a nice tool Al. But its just another dream tool that will never end up in my collection.. Wouldn't it be great though...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Damn. That thing would be awesome.
I didn't see any prices, probably good reason why. Lol

No big hurry. But I do plan on taking it in for scrap next weekend. But that should be plenty of time.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya that's a sweet sweet unit, flameless heat works wonders around gas tanks and fuel lines to release rusted bolts etc.

I've used the glass remover quite a bit, it was superb to say the least.

Anyway, I'll get the JIST of the tech101 for windshield removal via cut method.

Al

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
out of all my ford pickups, I own one with an intact windshield. the glass thickness on a ford is pathetic compared to the GM. All you have to do to a ford windshield is look at it crosseyed and it will break. The upside is my glass guy hits me for $120 for an installed windshield. He can go fight with the goo bead as far as I am concerned at that price.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Someone here mentioned a different year or different make windshield is the same shape, just thicker.
I think it was LCAM, but he wasn't sure.

Anyone heard of this?