Help me Save some Money/Time by not having to buy things twice..

Hiball

Reaction score
I currently have a 86 F250 (see Signature) with a Head Gasket issue and im getting close to removing the Engine for at MIN Head gasket replacement, along with a Oil Cooler Refresh and a once over for any other problem areas. Ive read countless posts and have been trying to absorb as much info as possible in regards to what upgrades need to be done or should be done while I have the engine out, Its also became obvious that OEM products seem to be the best choice when dealing with these engines. Ive already took some of that information to heart in regards to the Thermostat etc.. But Im wondering what other Generic parts should I avoid?

Is Upgrading the Rockers from 6.9 to the 7.3 a good move?

I think I recall reading there is a Member who supplies the Orings for the Oil Cooler? It would be awesome to take advantage of the Membership for things like this.

Thanks in Advance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Typ4 aka Russ in oregon has the correct o-rings. As for upgrading the 6.9 rockers to the 7.3 you might wait to actually see whats in your engine. I don't recall the years when they changed but they did use the 7.3 rockers in the 6.9. Never use a pan gasket either. the oil pan was only sealed by rtv from the factory. A good quality rtv works fine. I use ultra copper plus by permatex. As for head gaskets most any will do but many like Victor Reinz or Felpro. When you remove the dampner and the rear main seal plate look at the wear surfaces. If they are worn then install the seals with the speedi sleeves. The parts bin and the correct sealand sleeves listed with part numbers.

Hiball

Reaction score
Typ4 aka Russ in oregon has the correct o-rings. As for upgrading the 6.9 rockers to the 7.3 you might wait to actually see whats in your engine. I don't recall the years when they changed but they did use the 7.3 rockers in the 6.9. Never use a pan gasket either. the oil pan was only sealed by rtv from the factory. A good quality rtv works fine. I use ultra copper plus by permatex. As for head gaskets most any will do but many like Victor Reinz or Felpro. When you remove the dampner and the rear main seal plate look at the wear surfaces. If they are worn then install the seals with the speedi sleeves. The parts bin and the correct sealand sleeves listed with part numbers.

Appreciate the Info, I have a set of Victor Reinz Gaskets on the Way along with a New Valley pan. Ill double check the Parts bin for any pertinent info and for what its worth I did find the Orings sets on Rock Auto for like $6 bucks. Ill double check the Rockers when I get the Motor removed, Might posts some pics to determine what I have because a lot of the past threads have the pictures missing or its from a another forum that requires you to create a account to view pics.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could use ARP head studs if there is a turbo in the future. For a little more work you could add a typ4 cam. At that point might as well install a new Motorcraft water pump and thermostat. See how easy it is to spend someone else's money!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.