Help Help Help Please!!!!

paintedreams

Reaction score
Help Help Please!!!!

Well every thing was good till this afternoon I was pulling a hill emty and noticed a vibration like a u-joint was going bad and when I got to the top it went away then I noticed that the overdrive light was blinking it has done this before but the transmission did not act the same as before. When I arrived home and went to back up it vibrated a little then I noticed a smell of transmission fluid and when I got out of the truck I looked under the truck and fluid was dripping from the bell housing area. Please help me. Thanks, Dewey

Last edited:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Usualy when the E4OD does that it is bad. The first thing you should do is drain the transmission and torque conveter and refil with fresh fluid. If sounds like your trans overheated. That is bad by all means. Unfortunatly if a full pan of fresh fluid does not fix it you are most likely looking at a new trans. Sorry to rain on your day but that sounds like it to me.
Good Luck
Ken
PS You are on a good site here. Usualy you only need to post your problems in one spot. You will wind up with as much information as you need to get 'er going agian! Best of luck.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be just the Torque Converter. but still not a good or cheap fix...

Good luck I have had more trouble with the E4OD than the rest of the truck, but that is not saying much. I seem to break a lot! :mad:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
paintedreams said:
Well every thing was good till this afternoon I was pulling a hill emty and noticed a vibration like a u-joint was going bad and when I got to the top it went away then I noticed that the overdrive light was blinking it has done this before but the transmission did not act the same as before. When I arrived home and went to back up it vibrated a little then I noticed a smell of transmission fluid and when I got out of the truck I looked under the truck and fluid was dripping from the bell housing area. Please help me. Thanks, Dewey

Ah. The ol' "I backed up and my torque converter puked" syndrome. Got to see this for myself at the IDI Weekend last summer. Talk to Jim Madden about it. What you describe happened to him, and I believe it was due to fluid overheat. He let it cool off, refilled it, and added another transmission cooler, and has been fine since (I think). I'm not certain, but I think this also happened to somebody in the Darrin Tosh Katrina relief convoy. You might check with him also.

paintedreams

Reaction score
Well heres an up date

Well I left the truck over night and went out and checked the fluid level and it was low so I tried to move the truck when I cranked the truck the fluid started dripping from the pan on the bell housing. When I put the truck in gear you couldn't feel it go into gear but when you accerate the rpms had to go up before it would move so I just moved out of the way till Ifind out what to do next. Thanks for the quick replies.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the obvious question is, did you fill up the trans before you tried to move it? The dripping may have been left over from your previous incident.

paintedreams

Reaction score
Well is there anyway to check the torque converter without dropping the transmission. The trans fluid looks clean and doesn't smell burnt.