Help getting wheel studs in hub/rotor assembly

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, that is a bad Idea hitting one hammer with another. that is just looking flying shrapnel to be imbedded in some part of the body

Bah Humbug...good old Mythbusters did this and found no correlation to that as a fact what so ever...BUSTED:rotflmao in mythbusterese

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Bah Humbug...good old Mythbusters did this and found no correlation to that as a fact what so ever...BUSTED:rotflmao in mythbusterese

You can tell that to the surgeon that removed a 1/2" sliver of metal from my cheek bone after I did the EXACT thing Bill suggested when I was 12 years old.

I learned from my experiences, just trying to pass it along so no one else gets hurt

sassyrel

Reaction score
L O N G years ago, when i first went into car and truck repair,,i did my first studs replacement.............after beating for a bit..[6ft, 220] was getting pissed,,,,,,sooo. i got a 1 inch dia pipe,,and welded it to a 6x6 flat piece of steel stock...when driving studs with a hammer, the threaded part of the stud, would stick into the pipe. plate on concrete,shim the other side of hub so level, put a bit of oil on stud shoulder,stud in hole,,and about three wacks later,,IN!!!! which would work great for him in that lot..presses are nice [ have one] but sometimes!!!!!! the pipe,,being just a hair larger than the stud,,backs up the hub wayyyyyy more solid. not doing this,,can bent or break hubs...seen it...even in a press......

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can tell that to the surgeon that removed a 1/2" sliver of metal from my cheek bone after I did the EXACT thing Bill suggested when I was 12 years old.

I learned from my experiences, just trying to pass it along so no one else gets hurt

Brad; Not any difference than useing a punch, unless it's brass. Just don't have your kisser in line with what your hitting.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Sorry I didnt get back to you guys earlier, took it to the diesel shop, they put the lugs in for 20 bucks both wheels, they have a bearing puller and a wooden assembly to hold the part.

Said you start it with a hammer, finish it with the puller, and impact guns can wreck the tiny splines,

So if anyone is in my situation, buy the puller! Was like a bearing with a cone on it and a special lug nut with a big cone on it. Simple and effective!

Still took them about 30 mins for both wheels though

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I didnt have access to an air compressor an an air hammer, I would have brought them to a shop, an air hammer and 5 minutes and you would be done.

$20 bucks per rotor/hub seems steep to me.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was 20 bucks for both and took them a good half hour so i was happy.

Air hammer/rivet gun would have dominated this project, just have no compressed air =/

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... Sure gald you got it done and nobody took anything either. Now drive it like you stole it...:sly

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

They also claim that a cable snapping won't injure you if it hits you.

Brad; Not any difference than useing a punch, unless it's brass. Just don't have your kisser in line with what your hitting.

That's the reason you dress the end of a punch.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Brad; Not any difference than using a punch, unless it's brass.

Oldbull:

Well, I was always taught that you don't strike the hardened face of a hammer with another hardened face, its likely to produce a chip. E.G. a carpenters claw hammer has a hardened face that's designed to strike (relatively) soft nail heads. But otherwise like you said.

Regards,