Help for a rookie

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDI trucks are not so common in Norcal (on Craigslist at least, I live at Tahoe so pretty much had to do all my shopping online, it's too far to check out car lots). I spent over 2 months with a craigslist search engine and ended up going into central Oregon for the one I bought a few weeks ago. There seems to be many more IDI/T rigs in Oregon for some reason. Don't know how far you are willing to travel. I had to drive 10 hours and pay top dollar but it's a very clean truck with a 5 sp, just what I wanted.

I've been plowing snow for over 30 years (just got 6" last night and took the plow off our work truck on Thurs. lol) and would never buy a plow truck unless it was owner operated just for his own use. They get beat to hell. And it is extremely rare to see an IFS truck with a plow on it. Maybe the guy just did his own driveway/ road as virtually no one plowing for a living around here is gonna put a plow on an IFS front end. But we get wet heavy snow which is super ******* plows, maybe it just pushed around champagne powder only on Sundays ha ha.
are you plowing on the kali side or nevada side?
i know for a fact in kali doesn't salt. i don't think nevada does due to the rust-free vehicles coming into kali, but no definite word.
if you use the search parameter of the entire norcal, you'll find 99 pretty trucks and one or two ugly ones too :D

jonb96150

Reaction score
are you plowing on the kali side or nevada side?
i know for a fact in kali doesn't salt. i don't think nevada does due to the rust-free vehicles coming into kali, but no definite word.
if you use the search parameter of the entire norcal, you'll find 99 pretty trucks and one or two ugly ones too :D

They used salt here for decades and there are plenty of rusted rigs to show for it. Kali switched over to some sort of liquid stuff a couple years ago after Nevada started using it. I don't know what type of compound it is. Sure leaves a white, messy crapola all over your car! I suspect it has an element of sodium in it because it plays hell with the rocksliders and other items on my Landcruiser and Tacoma. They do sand to beat the band and that just blasts the coating off anything in the tire spray zone.

My craigslist search was limited to 4x4 manual trans so it would have excluded a lot of trucks. I sure didn't get many hits on that search in this state. Maybe my search engine needs a re-build! 99 pretty IDI trucks for sale in Norcal on CL right now? That is amazing.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used salt here for decades and there are plenty of rusted rigs to show for it. Kali switched over to some sort of liquid stuff a couple years ago after Nevada started using it. I don't know what type of compound it is. Sure leaves a white, messy crapola all over your car! I suspect it has an element of sodium in it because it plays hell with the rocksliders and other items on my Landcruiser and Tacoma. They do sand to beat the band and that just blasts the coating off anything in the tire spray zone.

My craigslist search was limited to 4x4 manual trans so it would have excluded a lot of trucks. I sure didn't get many hits on that search in this state. Maybe my search engine needs a re-build! 99 pretty IDI trucks for sale in Norcal on CL right now? That is amazing.
it's a modified quote from a **********. :eek:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
They used salt here for decades and there are plenty of rusted rigs to show for it. Kali switched over to some sort of liquid stuff a couple years ago after Nevada started using it. I don't know what type of compound it is. Sure leaves a white, messy crapola all over your car! I suspect it has an element of sodium in it because it plays hell with the rocksliders and other items on my Landcruiser and Tacoma.

That liquid stuff has a Calcium Chloride component and has molasses is it also. (At least the stuff in the Midwest is this stuff). It sticks to everything, and it likes to "creep" when its wet. I think it's actually worse that just the old fashioned "rock salt". I try and keep it cleaned off my vehicles as best I can.......

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To ALL,

IF you are looking for a CHERRY Bullnose, check out craigslist for WACO, AUSTIN, LAREDO & SAN ANTONIO. = Every day that I'm out & about in The Alamo City, I see more Bullnoses in GREAT condition than I used to see in a month when I was stationed in VA, MD & NY.

I talked to a retired fellow here in SA this afternoon at Autozone, who has a white/blue/white 1985 XLT Lariat BIG-cab 2x4 with 37,000 actual miles for sale & for 1500.oo cash.
(IF I was looking for another PU, I would have written him a check on the spot as that F150 was CHERRY & 1-owner.)

Note: The farther South that you go in TX, the more likely that you are to find an IDI diesel PU. - Diesels aren't nearly as common North of Austin, as they are "down here".

yours, satx

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIiot,

Some of those look fine BUT a LOT more $$$$$$$$$$ than in AZ, NM & South TX. = Most of those 4-5,000.oo trucks can be bought for less than 2,000.oo here.

yours, satx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online