help diesel down ??? //

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: on way home truck ran great as usual. get off highway and go to take off and no power plus lots of smoke !!!!! SHUT IT DOWN And restarted it still lots of smoke and no power. please help diesel gods!???:confused: :puke:starts and idles smooth but wont accellerate past 1100rpm?

Last edited:

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: dont see any restriction in intake new filter/oil change 3 weeks ago? how do i tell if turbo is hurt? truck has 262,891 miles on original turbo

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
take filter lid off check to see if the impeller looks ok then see if it spins freely then check to see if it has any end play

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A turbo failure that catastrophic would change the sound of things a good bit. What color was the smoke?

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: how easily should turbo spin? i have to apply light pressure to get it to spin it will not turn without pressure. also pad that goes in with air filter was in neck area of turbo? also smoke was light gray

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The pad being lodged in the turbo certanaly would cazuse problem like you described.How did it run after you removed the debries?Maybe you have a severly clogged air filter? Call me if you like Look at your private messages.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo should spin free. If clearing the debris didn't help it's time to rebuild or replace it.

Alot of light grey smoke and no power sure sounds like a Air restriction / turbo problem. If it was a fuel delivery / filter problem it would usually start hard and idle rough.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Someone I know has a 7.3 with a partially locked up turbo. Won't spin at idle, have to tromp on it to get it to move and will cease spinning upon returning to idle. It does not exhibit your sypmtoms. I would think your turbo would have to be locked up completely to cause a problem. I would look elsewhere in the intake or exhaust even.
James

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet :hail thanks for all the help ... the black foam pad in filter box was sucked into intake,all the way to turbo . cleaned and vacumed all the crap out of turbo and all is well. thanks again :thumbsup:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well good to hear but I would still be concerned that you have to apply light preasure to spin the turbo it should spin very easily

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well good to hear but I would still be concerned that you have to apply light preasure to spin the turbo it should spin very easily

Hmmm... I've seen turbo's that did not spin that easily that were just rebuilt. I think without oil presure to the cartridge it may be premature to judge a "stiff" turbo. The seals may offer enough resistance. There is also a difference in feel between sleeve bearing and ball bearing turbo's.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Have you run the engine at idle with the compressor side open--no filter box/piping?

If you try this make sure there are no loose rags, small critters around the turbo----from idle have someone just shut down the engine as normal ---key off and watch as the turbo spins down to a complete stop....should be smooth as silk with no sudden jerks/sounds. That should determine your next step as to weather any shaft/impeller damage was caused.

How do the fins look.....any shiny areas or deformed fins?

Hope this helps.