Hello sweet sweet oil leak

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
1987 FORD F-250 6.9L garret turbo hypermax setup.

SO! I've been searching and searching (noob to IDI's) I have one G-narly oil leak!

it is leaking from the rear top of the engine, I thought it was valley pan or return line from my turbo but it's getting all over my rear two driver side injectors and return lines ect. is the valley pan pressurized enough for that? I don't think it's diesel leaking, this leak is bad bad bad, but I don't use too much oil.

Any thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil vapour from the crankcase travels up the tube to the CDR, the vapour "condenses" back to oil and the oil runs out where the CDR connects to the intake.
For me it looks like that (picture 1)

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like here is a lot of oil around that cdr connection to the intake.

Can you see if there is a place that isn't tight that could let the blow by out right there?

There is a lot of oil mist that goes through that cdr....

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
it doesn't seem to be dripping off the intake, the valley pan gasket is full of oil on top near the back of the intake manifold

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be actually blowing the vapor out, not condensing then dripping.

It is usually worse at idle too. Might clean it off real good and then watch it for a while.

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
my line to the CDR comes out of the Valve cover, could I run a hose from there to the ground and delete my CDR? :dunno

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can, if you like to smell oil all the time. I am not a fan of the road draft tube as it is called. Might just need some new sealant around the CDR area to fix this mess you have.

There are some articles of people running road draft tubes on here. The forum search I am sure would reveal some threads about it.

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
10-4 thank you guys for the quick replies, I'll update post this weekend. I'm doing injectors/ return lines and glow plugs with the intake off I might be able to see any leaks better, I think it's leaking WAY too much oil to just be the CDR

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might check the turbo oil drain and turbo oil supply, my 093 turbo has a leak but only crankcase vapor comes out.

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
well I'm pretty sure I've got a bad lifter, only ticking/ knocking when warmed up since I put thicker oil in I'm gonna take off the valve covers and check so with the top end of the engine apart I should be able to see and take care of any leaks I'll update as needed

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
If you want to run a Road Draft Tube, just run it towards the back, past the cab. Then you wont smell it, as long as you don't car about oil dripping onto driveways and such..... Mine did the same thing, till I made the connection between the CDR and intake pipe tighter, now my engine doesn't leak a drop, anywhere ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to run a Road Draft Tube, just run it towards the back, past the cab. Then you wont smell it, as long as you don't car about oil dripping onto driveways and such..... Mine did the same thing, till I made the connection between the CDR and intake pipe tighter, now my engine doesn't leak a drop, anywhere ;Sweet

Au-oh...... now you have done it....... LOL.......

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
well maybe I'll just invest in some gravel parking space lol seems like it'll leak oil no matter what

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
No, just replace every gasket on the engine and coat them all with NAPA Black High Temp RTV Silicone Sealant except the head gasket/exhaust manifold gasket of course.... Mine don't leak a drop bro..... HEHE :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online