hello all, trans advice?

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
well first off hello. i'm finally starting to work on my F250 since the trans went out about 9 months ago. well i pulled it out today any ideas? i was driving slowing down to change roads, maybe 20ish turned and just coasted to a stop. makes a fluid-ish noise while running now. fluid level was perfect, not burnt.

well anyway it's out, the functions of the t-case work fine, imput shaft isn't broken, i hooked up a psi gauge into a plug by the shifter and i got 65 psi in park, neutral, and reverse. didn't try the other gears for some reason cookoo

but yeah it just won't move.
has 135xxxish on it. also noticed the pump looks to be newer

here's some pics of the truck
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/cavemanjohn/diesel/

John

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like an exploded torque converter, they usually go out at the least logical time. 20 MPH seems to be the common speed.

Have you pulled the torque converter yet? It will sound like a rattle toy if some thing has come apart inside.

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
um, yeah i pulled it. that's how i know that the input shaft is ok. so what do i do, drain it and play rattle toy?

dumb question though, if the torque converter is shot how's come i still had 65 on the gauge?

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
torgue converter sounds like a baby rattle. i'm on the hunt. i'm keeping all my fingers crossed that it didn't hurt anything in the rest of the trans though cuz i'm taped out at the moment. -Playme

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between the amount of force needed to turn the oil pump and the amount of force that is needed to move the truck. I'm not supprised that you still show fluid pressure building.

If the torque converter is smashed, than the transmission needs to be gone through. Pieces from the torque converter may have been pumped through the transmission and that will play havoc on the rest of the internals. Even the smallest piece that finds its way into the valve body will mean the difference between working or not. Damage to bushings sprags and other hard parts could only be made worse if you put it back in the way it is.

If you can't afford to at least inspect the rest of the transmission (and I do mean everything in it) than I would wait until you can. If you put it back together the way it is, than it will break on you again. Sorry, but this is a classic thing for the E4OD and later 4R100s to do. The torque converter from factory is garbage.

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
do i have a shot if i flush it a couple times right away? as in the first start

sootman73

Reaction score
my TC blew up at christmas time. i ddin't go through the whole tranny and i didn't have any problems until a little bit ago when the tranny blew up. but that was from a friend of mine pulled a camper to indiana at 50mph in overdrive. drove prob 3000 miles after TC replaced. never noticed it slipping or shifting bad until i got it too hot again. make sure to flush your cooler! and if you think its good do it again. i blew everything out with a air compressor and then a whole can of carb cleaner or brake kleen. then air compressor again.