Hello again and help!

Mtnview7

Reaction score
Hello All,
I joined this forum several months ago but have not been active due to health issues and a death in the family. To re-introduce myself my name is Mike, I’m in Phoenix AZ and I bought a 1990 Ford ramp truck with a 7.3 IDI. I’m at a juncture with the truck and would like to hear the collective thoughts of this forum. I really need input on if I should have my engine rebuilt or by one in a truck of known history.
I’ll give you the background on my truck. I drove it before purchase and the engine ran fine, no strange noises or smoke of any kind. I was pleased with it as I didn’t feel it would need any work and the price was very right. Mileage was unknown due to a non-working speedo. I drove the truck home and started in on doing things I felt should be done on a truck that was going to be making long trips hauling one of my cars. As I got deeper and deeper into it, I found that this poor creature had been very abused. Such as no fluid in the speedo/e brake unit, 90 weight in the trans, a replacement rear end what was well over two inches too wide so that one spring unit lined up and the other was at a very sharp sideways angle. All the lower shock bushing were gone or removed. I could go on and on but that gives you a feel of the way things were. After seeing this I had the trans and e brake rebuilt and I have replace everything, flywheel on back to include the correct rear end. I now have serious doubts about the engine. So that brings me to my questions. Should I rebuild this one or buy a truck of known history for the engine. If I go with the rebuild what should I insist be done or replaced? If I buy a used unit what should be done just to give me peace of mind? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi Mike.welcome back to the forum.sorry to hear about your loss.

so this is a f350 cab and chassis or an f-super duty truck?
what are your doubts with the engine and have you performed a compression test yet?

Mtnview7

Reaction score
It is a super duty cab and chassis. I have not performed any tests on the engine. My concern is that the engine is as abused and neglected as the rest of the truck was. I would rather do it up correctly now than have it puke on me 100 miles north of Barstow. I guess it goes back to the old saying, "an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online