Heated wmo before the IP?? Good or Bad

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel in my engine runs close to 150 degrees. Brad I sell one thats a few inches shorter than the one in the photo on my engine. I had a heck of a time building mine that length by hand. This one is the size I have for sale for $65 shipped.
You must be registered for see images attach

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning all. The reason you preheat WMO or WVO is purely for viscosity reasons and what kind of IP you run. Our wonderful(read sarcasm) little idi pumps won't handle a wide variation in viscosity. A guy in Abilene is running straight WMO in a P-pumped 12v with no heater ... has been for three years now with no issues, but our pumps won't do this! I've been running straight crude oil in mine since march and have even unhooked my glow plugs because it starts and runs so much better. My crude (API 44 gravity) still has all the good stuff in it that the refineries take out to make gas and stuff. I've even put some oil samples in the frig and the freezer to run viscosity checks in prep for the upcoming winter .... it'll be fine without any preheat other than naturally occurring heat under the hood. There are remote oilfields around OK and KS that run huge CAT generators on pretty thick (API 18-25 grav.) field oil for their electricity. These engines require the crude to be preheated to 120-160 deg. before the fuel system will efficiently handle it. It doesn't really have any effect on atomization. Once fuel oil will pump, it comes out of the injectors in the same metered amount. In really cold climates, you'll want to run a separate diesel tank for starting and shutdown if you're running a really stout WMO percentage(or just switch tanks on our duel tank trucks). Now a cold air intake will make a huge difference because you Can increase the density of your charge air, but not really so on the fuel system. Hope some of this helps.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
txquigly
Reading that your running crude in your engine gives me a little more hope that running a mixture of wmo & diesel in mine shouldnt hurt. Straight crude is pretty incredible, and I think shows how good these types of engines(IDI) are.
With the cold air really goes back to what I was wondering about when we started this thread. My thinking with warm fuel it would take less energy to combust it, plus viscosity needs to be thin. Thanks

Greg,
Thanks for the info Ill keep it mind, Im working other parts of my mwo setup right now.