Heated wmo before the IP?? Good or Bad

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a question about wmo fuel if heating it before it gets into the engine. A few years ago I read a discussion about fuel that is heated before it gets into the IP.
The theory was that heated fuel will combust better/easier because it's closer to that temp.
I'm wondering if anyone here that runs a heated fuel system if it makes any noticeable difference?? Even if your not running wmo and you have heated fuel system I'm wondering if this helps.
Granted running warmer fuel in cold temps helps but this was more geared towards the combustion process.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Heater WMO will DEFINITLY run through the IP a LOT better then cold WMO.

Some people have said that they run an electric pump for pumping fuel, and use the stock mechanical lift pump to push WMO through the bottom part of the radiator in an automatic transmission style rad.

Your truck is 5 speed, so I am not sure if it has the lower part of the rad for heating/cooling the transmission fluid. But if it does, route the WMO through there to heat it, and you are good to go!

Kinda get what I am saying?

I am not too sure on the weather where you are at, but by the look of the snow in your avatar, heating the WMO is colder slimates is a REALLY good idea!!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
j2005
Right now I'm running about a 20-25% mixture but I want to go higher, 60, 70% depends how the engine takes to it.
Goofyexponent
No, the radiator doesn't have the normal oil cooler but that would work good for heating if I did have that.
I've got a heated tank that I'm working on getting all "plumbed in", I've got the coolant lines run and where the hoses go into the tank get hot after driving a little. Heating the fuel so it flows better through the lines to the IP is a must for me in colder weather.
The question that I'm kinda wondering about is when the fuel gets sprayed into the combustion chamber does it help the engine if that fuel is warmer or does it help if the fuel is cooler.
I know is racing engines the fuel/air mixture is better or denser if it is cold, but thats gas not diesel.
I know diesel would really have to be hot for it to "vapor lock", probably doesn't happen with diesels. But thanks for the questions.

j2005

Reaction score
ill ask my petro engineer friends tomorrow but...dont they make a cold air intake for diesels? i could only assume that there is a balance point that makes the most power...finding it that is the prob.
maybe a "cold air" intake and a little bit warmer fuel to help with the pumps

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
WMO is so thick it helps ALLOT to heat it up when running strong mixtures. this is speaking from experiance.

commercially produced WMO burners do the same thing. pre heating a thick fuel like that helps it atomize and flow much better.

you cant compaire this to gas though. gas is so thin already and has such a low flash point that it helps to cool it to make it denser. with WMO we already cant get all the extra energy out of it.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I had a thought about running a loop of ½" copper tubing in my fuel tank, then running engine coolant through the loop. Is this as bad of an idea as i think it might be? Or is there some type of plasticish tubing that would be better? The last thing i want id to start pumping coolant into my fuel tank...

Of course this all relies on the engine being up to operating temp....but it might work a little with the block heater....

What about ideas for heating the WMO/fuel before the engine is up to temp? I have a fuel heater on the line before the filter, but the wire has been pulled out of it so its toast...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post pics sometime, but my alum fuel tank behind the cab, in the bed has a loop of 5/8 alum tubing coming down from the top of the tank.(entering & coming out the top of the tank). Wanted to get a artic fox tank heater but didn't want to spend the money.
Like any kind of setup if you can keep any connections outside the tank, for leak detection & prevent coolant from getting in the fuel, that would be better.
I've seen someone take a stock front tank and run a loop all the way thru & back, welding or soldering up the entry points, then they have 10 feet +/- of copper tubing exposed to the fuel. Thats a major project.
If you want to heat the fuel before the engine starts you'd need a block heater that can pump coolant quite a distance.
Some semi places might be a good place to look.
When I ran my hoses it was about 20-22 feet of total length, extended cab pickup, same deal there it would be best to use one length of heater hose keep your connections where you can see or work on them.
Keep reading and learning, originally I was sold on wvo but that stuff does not like any cool weather, so I went with wmo.

mtran

I`ll improve my Eng
Reaction score
Heat helps alot on winter,but you mast care about summer,too hot is not good
some said 60 c on inlet is max,but most is what oil you use.I got trans oil and need to put valve to stop heat fuel line.Do you know clear D on return has 60 c on not heated line.They said not to heat all tank-only pickap, I didn`t at all.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

my heater works great. My return line is warm enough to heat my fuel filter up on the frame.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one of gregs heaters that I will be installing into the truck im putting together soon. For reference, i never heated mine and ran high concentrations if wmo without any problems. I just have to filter better. My last set if injectors and ip had goober miles on them and i didn't care.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew I sold one but could not remember to who! I hope it works out for ya. I have been running 80% wmo this summer. I am running it with new injectors and a new uhaul pump. With the 105 degree days we have been having in northeast TX I am having some overheating issues now since I am running a small block radiator with no shroud. Aint nothing like getting all the bugs outta a truck that you built your self!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg
thanks for posting that pic again of your fuel heater, remember that from before.(looks good,:thumbsup:)
Whats one of those heaters cost??

mtran

I`ll improve my Eng
Reaction score
Danger with overhigh temp of oil is if you add much rug or something that evaporate on less than 60 c will create vapor aka air,same said too hot isn`t good for IP.I made my heater of Cu tube od 18 mm 50 cm long with 8 mm inside and I go 80% on -10c BUT meh LP and IP.Best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online