Headlight relay mod revisited.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't buy Sylvania bulbs. They don't conform to what is advertised. Fact is IIRC they have a recall on them. I bought them a couple of years ago and they are poop.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The EBay socket mentioned above would work great. I cut the passenger side factory harness and spliced wires onto it. That is the tie in point and what is used to control the relays. That is the only point where the new setup meets the factory harness.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm curious what gauge wiring is in the LMC relay kit. I've also heard of relay failure issues with that kit, which may be low quality relays or may have more to do with no weatherproof enclosure for them. So $30 for LMC kit. What does it cost to build it yourself?

Also does anyone have a source for a new weatherproof relay box similar to what smolkin posted from the new Lincoln? Don't have time to go junkyarding and maybe find what I need so when I do this I'd prefer to either go LMC or if cost is similar build it better with new off the shelf parts.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice write up. I might have passed on the lmc kit I bought and just rolled my own if I knew how easy it was. I pictured needing to run all the wires to the headlight switch. I should've known better, but I completely overlooked tapping into the factory wires at the headlight plug.

They are off road only because the wattage is too high for dot.
I've been looking for a nice set of illegal bulbs to put into my shiney new buckets. Where'd ja gettem? (heck I could probably use the part number to find them on ebay.)

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Here is a thread on the http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?60372-lmc-headlight-relay-harness

For $30 I'd imagine we can build better. I am quite wary of adding any additional electricla complexity to my vehicles as it adds another potential failure. Of course I say this while I am unable to use my high beams as the headlight switch is on the way out... But still, I'd prefer to use relays with a pinout/plug that is readily available and also waterproof with either an enclosure or a weather resistant connection. Granted it's just a headlight relay and if it fails you can just jump the plug and it'll work if need be... But I'd prefer to avoid that if the difference is another $10-$20 over the LMC kit that I'd spend when the LMC relays fail and I can't find something quick and easy off the shelf to splice their harness anyway.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious what gauge wiring is in the LMC relay kit. I've also heard of relay failure issues with that kit, which may be low quality relays or may have more to do with no weatherproof enclosure for them. So $30 for LMC kit. What does it cost to build it yourself?

Also does anyone have a source for a new weatherproof relay box similar to what smolkin posted from the new Lincoln? Don't have time to go junkyarding and maybe find what I need so when I do this I'd prefer to either go LMC or if cost is similar build it better with new off the shelf parts.

Might look into the parts list for the Ford Pickups. On all the Factory Tow Package trucks, on the inside drivers fender, back to ward the firewall is a box that has 2 relays in it, one to run the trailer lights, one for either the charge line, or brake controller, don't remember which right now. Even the newer trucks have these... my 03 Excursion, and they are the standard style relays. TO the point, on my 98 Sable Wagon, the HVAC Fan relay failed, and I borrowed one from this box on my truck till I got to the parts store to get another one. Put the one back and all was back to normal on the truck.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
There are 2 relays, you can swap them out if the low beam fails or simply jump the terminals with. Short piece of solid wire. I also have a #10 wire ran to the back of my truck and relay modded the reverse lights. 3 years in the relay has been solid.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes...yes...Off road use only....

And ya'll gonna tell me you don't speed a few mph over the limit next too right ;Poke :rotflmao

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goose, I noticed you said the green wire from the headlight plug is high-beam and red is low-beam. I found in the instructions on the other tech article it says green is low, red is high. I'm wondering which one is correct? I realize it really doesn't matter that much so long as the reds are connected to the same relay, and the greens are connected to the other relay.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I could have goofed, I'm not going to sit here and denounce someone else's write up, I did this from scratch and used a multi meter to identify the wires. I do believe my headlight switch in the dash has been replaced and a new pig tail for it was spliced into the harness. Perhaps they flopped a wire there. At any rate, when the hi beam indicator is lit, the high beams are on, I did verify that much. As long as they stay identified and separate, the project will come together as planned. I may go and check the wiring diagram to get to the bottom of this.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm.. ok. I just did the relay mod on my truck. Finished and tested it tonight. I made a mistake on the switch though so the high-beam switch turns on the low-beams. I know that's an easy fix and I just need to cut and re-solder the correct wires together.

But the thing that disconcerts me a little bit is when the headlights are OFF, dash lights on or off, there is a buzzing noise I can hear inside the cab. Anybody have any ideas? Don't know if its coincidental, but I doubt it...