Head studs done pics. Sorry it took so long.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off happy holidays to all. Sorry I took so long to post up pics, but the head studs are done and I have been to busy and also without internet back home to post up. Anyways here is the prototype and then the finished product minus the washer. I still have no pull test results and have not been able to finish my own truck do to my work and school schedule. However they are done and I can make them on request. Im kinda wanting the pull test results first just for extra confidence. We did something a bit different on the block end to ditch the nub and add in a few extra threads for strength there is still a small relief pit in the end of the stud for debris in the block, but if you are using these you should clean the holes out so this would not be an issue. These are H-13 tool steel that has not been heat treated in anyway and still should hold to mill spec which I don't know what it is but its a hell of allot. I will post up the mill sheet for the steel and when I get pull test results I will post that as well. For me Im going to run them as is without testing but to those who wish to purchase them they may want to see these specs just for good measure.

Attachments

• DSCF0306.JPG
    DSCF0306.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0307.JPG
    DSCF0307.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0308.JPG
    DSCF0308.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0309.JPG
    DSCF0309.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 25

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well they look good but kinda fuzzy pictures. What are these studs demensions like overall length, length of threads and are the nut end 1/2x20 threads. H-13 is what my Kens studs are made out of. Get the pull test From Stork Testing Labs. They have several locations in Texas. They do lots of work for NASA and thats good enough for me...

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over all length of the stud is 6 3/4" Lower threads are the standard thread same as the block and it is 1 7/8 from bottom to top solid thread to help hold more. The top threads go down 1 1/2" and use the same threads that Ken used on the top of his studs which is a National fine thread pattern.

Here is a run down on the two studs

DPS studs

+good idea
+H13 tool steel
+Had a hex head for install in the tip
+good fastening hardware
-1/4" to short
-heat treated and caused failure but was the only way to cut the hex head in

My studs

+H13 tool steel
+not heat treated retaining mill spec.
+correct length
+more threads in the block
+good fastening hardware
-no hex head for installation must double up nut to install a must to keep from heat treating to cut in hex head.

Last edited:

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price is in the 550.00 to 500.00 range depends on ordering the H-13 material, the price fluctuates from day to day.

Sorry about the blurry pictures my camera is not the best and Im not the best at using it as my vision is crumby as it is.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya with Studs like ARP and Ken the threads are rolled...so I am very interested in finding out what your Cut threads hold like, we need that pull test data. If they hold good....then kewl...I suspect you'll get several orders for stud kits.

It all depends on the pull test data.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funds sent for pull test, bare with me.......cant stress enough how hard it is to try and do my projects on the side plus work and 18hrs. of college. Ill post it up as soon as it comes in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle