Head stud update.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thursday I will be posting a few pics of the studs. Looks like the price on them will be $525.00 I am trying to keep the price down but the cost of material and the nuts and washers goes up fast when you have 34 of them at such high grades not to mention time. Still waiting on the pull test results. Should be in soon. I am making my head studs as we speak even though the material is not approved yet, I am confident though. Those of you wanting them or needing them save your penny's as it will be easier for me to do several sets at a time. PS intercooler kit to follow soon as well. As well as some truck pics and video of the beast coming to life (if it ever does):angel:

If she does not reach at least 18psi there will be 2 additional turbos added to make the boost. I hope this doesn't happen, but I want my power.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Definatly man, both head studs and intercooler are on my list of things to do. I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 filling a very important niche. I think a twin turbo will max out around 18-20psi with a Moose Pump or DPS pump. Flatlander hit almost 1000*egt, 18psi, at around 85 with Mel's Moose pump and compound turbos, C6, 3.08s.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
ARP already sells a set for the 6.9 around $225.00. They are either 190,000 psi or 220,000 psi. Actually Summit sells them and for about $40.00 less. Must be because they buy in bulk.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I say Joejohn is providing a good service, the 6.9s are taken care of the ARP studs are plenty good enough for almost anybody. With the 7.3s Ken was the only option and he's hard to deal with sometimes, others have questioned his honesty and business practices. At any rate he gets about 200 bux more than Joejohn and has had some QC problems it would seem.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
part number for 6.9 studs on summit: ARP-150-4069

also how much more power/psi would i be able to get if i upgraded head studs (have a banks 6.9 kit)?

Last edited:

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 filling a very important niche. I think a twin turbo will max out around 18-20psi with a Moose Pump or DPS pump. Flatlander hit almost 1000*egt, 18psi, at around 85 with Mel's Moose pump and compound turbos, C6, 3.08s.

What kind of power did he make?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
What kind of power did he make?

Never got that far. The truck is down while I get the auto and 3.08 rear out and swap in a t19 and 3.73's. While I'm at it, I'm considering some head work and lowering compression.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you really want to mess with a motor that's running that well, on the other hand, with 3.73s you'll have a lot more RPMs which should = more boost. I know you said DPS built this motor, you didn't tell us what internal mods Ken did to it if any. You have head studs and ceramic coated pistons I'm pretty sure, probably hardened exhaust valves and probably turbo rods and pistons. Anything else? Or any of that not there? You might have enough.....I haven't researched IDI performance enough to know what would be the first thing to let go. My guess would be in order
1) head gaskets
2) valves
3) Piston pins
4) Pistons
5) bottom end
Do you have an intercooler?
Good luck