hazards not working

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the hazards havent been working since i got the truck... any suggestions? i checked all the fuses and they are good... where should i be looking for the culprit next? thanks in advance for the help guys

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything else (light wise) not work? I'm not sure about the 86's but the 87-91's were notorious for problems with the multifunction switch under the steering wheel. Everything runs through it from horn to turn signals etc. Might try swapping the turn signal flasher over if it's the same. I would be surprised if its not.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two flashers on the fuse block. One in the front and another in the back. One is for your turn signals. The others is for the E-hazards. Might be something else as the problem, but I'd start there.

Heath

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Does any one have a picture of the hazard relay in the back?

All my lights work fine, but my hazards blink fast, or sometimes not at all

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*******STOP*********
THIS INFO IS FOR 87-91 MODEL TRUCKS ONLY
the hazard flasher is located in a very unlikely position in the cab.
unlike the 80-86 where the secondary flasher is on the backside of the fuseblock,
the 87-91 flasher is on the passenger side kick panel. you do not need to remove the kick panel. right above the kick panel and inline to the lower dashboard brace on the metal bulkhead is where it is at.
do yourself a favor and replace it with an electronic flasher and be done for good.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
*******STOP*********
THIS INFO IS FOR 87-91 MODEL TRUCKS ONLY
the hazard flasher is located in a very unlikely position in the cab.
unlike the 80-86 where the secondary flasher is on the backside of the fuseblock,
the 87-91 flasher is on the passenger side kick panel. you do not need to remove the kick panel. right above the kick panel and inline to the lower dashboard brace on the metal bulkhead is where it is at.
do yourself a favor and replace it with an electronic flasher and be done for good.

So where is it on a 94 truck?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Still can't track it down, any one help me??

Replaced blinker relay, but my hazards still flash quick and randomly

BrotherNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HS108: I think on the 94's if its the same as my 93. The blinker should be controlled by the panel that the light switch connects into. Mine was fried and it was doing the same thing. IMO i beleive thats the problem.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still can't track it down, any one help me??

Replaced blinker relay, but my hazards still flash quick and randomly
Was it the flasher that you can see in the corner of the fuse box that you replaced? Reach around the "blind" side of that fuse box, right where that flasher is, and see if you feel another one. If so, pull that one out and replace it, and try again.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably the flasher on the back of the fuse panel. If not, it sounds like it could be a short in the wiring before the flasher. Check the switch in the steering column.

Here's how I would test it: Get a battery hot wire and connect it to the side of the flasher that goes to the steering column switch. If the hazards work, then you know that the problem is in the wiring from the switch to the flasher, or the switch itself. If not, replace the flasher.