Has anyone installed a sunroof?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Centurion used 19.5# of Bondo to smooth out their graft lines.

This is one of the failure points of the Centurians and I'd like to avoid it, the bondo comes off after a few years as they tried to make it an inch thick cookoo

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
every 126 i've owned i;ve had an issue with the sunroof.

I have a really really nice, clean 84 amg 500 sel. The sunroof stays shut because i was using it then it got slow on open and didn't want to close. Finally got it shut and its staying that way, my 85 and 89 did the same. The 84 i don't want to pull the headliner, the car is just too nice and i'm afraid to booger something.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
if you want to do a new roof skin then cutting out the opening of the parts car would be much easier then cutting a perfect hole to place the sunroof into...

maybe that was already your plan.

also look at where your roof braces are,, if you do a large flat roof you will need to add in an extra skeleton frame out of like 1x1 to keep the roof rigid the ribs are what give the roof strength OR you could bead roll your own ribs in the new panel

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 84 i don't want to pull the headliner, the car is just too nice and i'm afraid to booger something.

You don't pull the headliner to repair them ... it's actually a pretty simple thing to fix ... bought a kit with easy to follow instructions for mine ... after doing so, worked awesome!! Go to mercedessource.com and use their instructions.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id beef it up giving the sunroof its own frame out of ex 1x1 tube
but then id get something worth while a huge sunroof like on the scion tc
but the main thing is strength if you dont beef it up it will sag leak and everythign else
you can graft any sunroof in you want long as you pay attention to detail
in youre case for the 4 door bronco the 2 different roofs can be combined into one by its use and with a structural plate under each weld seam it should be no issue

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id beef it up giving the sunroof its own frame out of ex 1x1 tube
but then id get something worth while a huge sunroof like on the scion tc
but the main thing is strength if you dont beef it up it will sag leak and everythign else
you can graft any sunroof in you want long as you pay attention to detail
in youre case for the 4 door bronco the 2 different roofs can be combined into one by its use and with a structural plate under each weld seam it should be no issue

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want to do a new roof skin then cutting out the opening of the parts car would be much easier then cutting a perfect hole to place the sunroof into... maybe that was already your plan.

Was thinking about this too ... the only way to make it work would be to cut the roof about six inches in the front, left and right from the sunroof and the entire rear section the sunroof slides into, with a little spare room as above; graft that entire section in.

Next difficulty I see is motor location ... the wire-cable that pushes/pulls the sunroof from the motor is fixed length, running through a sheath, and I don't believe the wire-cable can be lengthened or shortened. So basically you have to place the motor at the optimum distance (as the trunk of your W126) and hope said distance works in a agreeable location in your truck.

Seems like a lot of work! Just go with a moon roof or don't hack you truck.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
You don't pull the headliner to repair them ... it's actually a pretty simple thing to fix ... bought a kit with easy to follow instructions for mine ... after doing so, worked awesome!! Go to mercedessource.com and use their instructions.

Mine the tube is distorted from the previous owner. Which means the rear pillar and headliner needs to come down.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a universal I installed into my 87 and I've never had a leak yet. I love that thing in the summer. Open it up and cruise on down the road with the windows open. Cools the truck even better than AC.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a universal I installed into my 87 and I've never had a leak yet. I love that thing in the summer. Open it up and cruise on down the road with the windows open. Cools the truck even better than AC.

I have no notion of the brand; but, the wife's truck came from the original owner equipped with a sun-roof that he had installed when the truck was new.

It has never been the least problem whatsoever, no leaks or drips.

It pops up about x-many inches at the rear and may also do so at the front; I hardly ever fool with it and actually forget it is up there, it is that troublefree. :thumbsup:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can take mine completely out in about 10 seconds if I want to just by flipping two clips and pressing a couple tabs on the handle.