HARD starting when cold

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is hard starting when cold. If I let it sit for about an hour or 2, she doesnt wanna crank up. Even if I cycle the glow plugs for 15 seconds, it still takes about 3 15 second cranking sessions before it starts. Runs pretty smooth as soon as it starts up, which makes me believe it might not be a fuel problem. I'm pretty sure I need new glow plugs but just in case, I've heard ways of testing for air in the system by doing something with a schrader valve? I know its probably a dumb question but whats the process for that? Is it to push it while cranking to and see whether air or fuel comes out? Or do you do it while not cranking? Any help is appreciated.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Do it while cranking.
Depending on temps, that almost sounds like the ip has the heat soak problem.
How's it start after sitting over night?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the exact same. maybe a tad bit of harder start after sitting over night. I did have a feeling the IP was bad for a while. It was white hazing a little even when warm but i advanced the timing just a tad and it cleared up. Runs great when it fires up. What would be the solution to the heat soak problem?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How fast is the engine cranking? Mine just recently was having hard starting problems when it was cold and finally the starter died. I kept thinking the whole time it was bad batteries and was waiting to get them. After I changed the starter I couldn't believe how fast the engine turned over and since I have had no problems starting. Batteries were fine.

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turns over pretty quickly. not slow really. I do plan on getting new batteries soon, wont hold a charge for more than a few days.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Could still be the batteries. Both of my diesels just went through this. I didn't have enough reserve to run the plugs and then start the engine. If the batteries are marginal (like mine were) you are already behind the 8-ball. If I had to run the plugs, I would need a boost to be able to start. If they were warm, they would fire right up.....

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could still be the batteries. Both of my diesels just went through this. I didn't have enough reserve to run the plugs and then start the engine. If the batteries are marginal (like mine were) you are already behind the 8-ball. If I had to run the plugs, I would need a boost to be able to start. If they were warm, they would fire right up.....

I'd check batteries also. It's amazing the difference in new batteries. They will turn the truck over much faster.

Check all of the electrical connections.

Also are you running any additive in your fuel? I've started adding additive all the time. My pump seems much happier on additive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online