Gutless or just me?

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
New MAP made no difference, Installed new valve cover gaskets and inj/glow plug harness with no difference. No broken push rods, did not pull them to check for any bends. the contribution test is now consitent failures on all cyl's but #1.

Installed a 9.5 resistor mod and that is better, I can just barely see some coal and the power is a touch better. Any diesel injector cleaners you guys recommend.

Measured fuel pressure, @WOT in park it shows a wide spasm between 30-55psi. And @ idle stable it shows 50 psi.

Last edited:

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I just removed the EBV tube which was restricted, now cleaned. Removed the EBV sensor and it itself was plugged solid with carbon or silt. The coupler between the line and sensor could maybe pass a paper clip through the coupler it was plugged up so bad.

I think the sensor itself is junk, KOEO it showing 53psi for BP all the time running or not.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Also just cleaned the FPR screen and it looked like it had black tar on it, scraped what I could without disturbing the screen. Leaving work now, see how it does.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Seemed ok driving home, might hook the trailer up later and see how it does around the block.

I haven't ran the Buzz test since getting the P1298 Ignition Diag Monitor Failure yesterday, gonna try it again on Thurs. I like how the Diag steps for testing this code is simply replace the IDM if this code is in the ecm by itself. FAWK ME its $450 my cost at napa.......so is there any deals out there on these things or interchange?

I have a feeling my injectors are poo-poo though. Where are the deals on injectors? I am not looking to go crazy with the truck I am more slight perf. increase while keeping it super reliable and money is always very tight paycheck to paycheck. I was "looking" at Bean's Tranny Saver injectors.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Okay, I have an old friend that works at a Ford dealer here in West Michigan and he talked with there diesel tech. He pointed me in a direction to check out before dropping the coin on more unnecessary parts.

He suggested I look at the connectors at the oil pump for the sensor on the back side near the bottom.

Injection Control Pressure Solenoid? The pigtail connector is similar to the fuel injector connector with the wire clip that holds it on.

You must be registered for see images

The whole harness for this stuff that has the connector attached to the fuel bowl on the pass side that then runs under the fuel bowl then to all heating element and vacumn switch etc is toast. Most the wires are burnt and exposed copper lines that are touching each other.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Well I just removed my fuel bowl and it looks like the solenoid on the oil pump is shot, connector looks like hell.

I have not removed the solenoid yet, is there anything I need to know before pulling that off and how do you get it off?

And while I have the fuel bowl off is there any tips/tricks mods I can do with it that are inexpensive while I have it off?

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Better pics

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I am guessing the heater element might have shorted at some point causing this wiring damage?

I just removed the IPR, the connector is slightly damaged but the pins look okay, any type of ohm spec or something to check if its good/bad? Otherwise I am gonna try and find one tomorrow. Napa is either $240 or $315, they are the only place I have checked since I can get online and check prices with our shop account, anybody else I have to wait and call in the am.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you're not closer, I have everything spare.
As fried as that wiring is, I think that IPR is working, I can't remember if the truck will die if you unplug it for sure(pretty sure it will,) but I know if you slide the solenoid far enough off the center post it sure will...

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Well got a known good regulator, new heater, rebuilt the harness, new fuel filter, new rubber lines off the fuel bowl. Thoroughly cleaned the fuel bowl and the fuel supply manifold including the little screen (which was nasty).

Get home tonight and put it back together and hope its better.

zpd307

Reaction score
all i can say is damn...... how bad was your fuel bowl, if the fpr screen was all gunked up? check ebay for a new ipr.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I got a good used IPR from a friend at a dealership. There diesel tech had one he sold me. Put it back together tonight and hope for the best. The fuel bowl didn't look to bad.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Okay, so I install a "known good" regulator and solenoid. Reinstall fuel bowl with new filter and fill with diesel, refill the HPOP with oil (from the little allan plug hole thing top left).

Warm the plugs, truck fires right up and idles smooth. Then about 2 minutes later stalls instantly. Restart it and now it won't rev past 500 and has a violent idle and is surging bad and stalls. Recrank, same thing, recrank and its smooth again and will rev up but with check engine lamp. Shut it off restart and back to the loping idle and less then 500 rpms.

What gives? Air in fuel system? my "known good" regulator not good? ***.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle