Guages and Oil Pressure

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing Isspro gauges in my truck and found some interesting results. I installed the oil pressure sensor [elec. gauge] at the turbo feed--typical banks settup. Cold idle [500 rpm] 20 psi.---hot cruise [1800-2000 rpm] 40 psi.--hot idle 0-5 psi. ! I was not too happy with those #s and thought possibly the turbo was at fault being the oil just dumps out the bottom into the valley. When I installed the engine in this chassis I had to go with a remote oil filter mount because of clearance issues to the pumpkin. The filter mnt. I used had 2 extra ports on it so I moved the sensor there---big difference ! Cold idle--50-60 psi.--hot idle--20-25 psi.---hot cruise--50-60 psi.. The turbo was checked out abt. 200 mi. ago and the play was said to be normal. Hope this helps out that possibly low oil pressure is sensor location. Boost pressure--easy driving 3-4 lbs.---foot to the flr. it scoots right up to 8-9 lbs.. This is all empty--no load. Exhaust temp.--800-900 deg. at 8-9 lbs. boost. I do love this engine in this truck !:love:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I don't think there's anything abnormal about it. The turbo is a high oil consumption device. I was going to suggest that you use one of the other oil pressure sending ports besides the stock pressure sender; the pressure numbers may be affected by the high oil use of the turbo, but it lookos like you already did. From what I hear the pressure at the stock sender represents a minimum from the engine not a maximum or an average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk