Group 31 vs. group 34

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably go to a single Group31 AGM when my current AGM batteries expire. If they ever do. I'm still running a pair of Optima 34/78 Yellowtops that date back to 1997. I ran them in my diesel Blazer then transferred them over to the Ford about 10 years ago.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Well its been awhile now i cant do anything about pictures right now but i have 4 heavy duty post clamps two napa ccommerical group 31 battries the biggest they had 1260 cca at 32 degrees then lug terminals and huge cable 4 aught. These battires are going in the fummins but not on the frame they will be going in the bed. Because i am going to putting this truck on airride to lay frame so everything has to be tucked up high

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its been awhile now i cant do anything about pictures right now but i have 4 heavy duty post clamps two napa ccommerical group 31 battries the biggest they had 1260 cca at 32 degrees then lug terminals and huge cable 4 aught. These battires are going in the fummins but not on the frame they will be going in the bed. Because i am going to putting this truck on airride to lay frame so everything has to be tucked up high

What battery trays did you use?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have Group 31's in their OBS 92-97 truck? I have heard that it is necessary to build custom battery trays as the terminals will hit the hood on the OBS unless the abtteries are lowered. Does naybody have any pics or write up on installing 31's in an OBS? I have been thinking of doing this, but am hesitating because of possibly having to rework the battery trays. Thanks! Todd

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 31's in my dad's 93, just trimmed the battery tray edges down. Make sure they are true 31's (stud not post) and you should be ok. I would check before just slamming the hood though.....

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using Autozone Duralast Gold group 27s in my truck for the past 10 years and had good luck with them. That's what was in the first truck I got and I had good luck with life and getting them replaced under warranty when they did die. I'm not real fond of Autozone stuff, but these particular batteries seem to work well.

Just $0.02 though....

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my E350 I built a custom rack for (2) group 31's that mounts to the frame behind the drivers door. These are my camping/house batteries so I still have my regular starting batteries under the hood.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my E350 I built a custom rack for (2) group 31's that mounts to the frame behind the drivers door. These are my camping/house batteries so I still have my regular starting batteries under the hood.
You must be registered for see images attach

The attachment doesn't seem to work. Yeah, maybe making one is not so hard. Some ideas/pictures would be helpful. Thanks.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fixed the photo - sorry about that. Group 31's are tall enough that the mount has to sit below the frame just slightly. I made my frame so that it can drop down (with the help of a floor jack) to service the batteries. If you decide to remote mount make sure you run large enough cable.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
huge advantage to the 31s batts is that you can get them at just about any truck stop in the country 24/7. if you travel alot, being tied to brand x battery because of reputation or warranty is totally useless because Murphy will dictate your point of battery failure and it WILL be 1000 miles from the nearest authorized dealer of your platnum plated megaschmaltz special , leaving you holding the bag as you hunt fr a new batt on the spot.

When you have 31s batts, they are generally fairly cheap, around 80-110 bucks for a very high amp batts with an insane reserve capacity ( which is the important part anyway ) and with the ease of availability, you arent going to fuss over brand etc if one poops out on you and you need to use it as a core. swap it out pay the man and go instead of winding up in an ordeal trying to find some fancy batt that dont exist for a 5 state area

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online