Grinding noise from rear right wheel while turning right

fordviehman

Reaction score
As the title states I have a grinding noise that comes from my right rear wheel when I'm turning right. It doesn't do it all the time sometimes it will go a week or so without doing it and other times it will do it for a day every time I turn. It started right after I replaced on 16 lug studs on the rear. About two days later is when I first heard the noise and I was sure that is was brake related so I pulled the drums back off and replaced all the brake parts on both sides. Noise didn't go away. Pulled it back off to make sure I had adjusted everything correctly and didn't miss a spring or something nope everything was exactly how it should be. I started to think I was just hearing it from the back and it was actually from the front so I checked my brakes up front which are only about two months old and they are fine. Also pulled the wheel bearing and hub back out to check them same case they are fine. Last Friday when I was driving back from school I stopped to put fuel in my truck and decided to walk around the truck and feel all of my hubs. They were all cool besides the right rear which was slightly warmer then the others and I mean slightly not to hot that I couldn't place my hand on it but just enough to actually notice. Now maybe I'm just confused because this is a full floater rear end but doesn't a bearing usually make a sound if its opposing the side that is being turned on or is different in a full floater because of the axle shaft not supporting the weight of the vehicle. Any input would be very helpful. I have already jacked up the rear end and tried turning the wheel with different pressure on it but couldn't reproduced the sound. I just want to know if anyone has had a similar problem or can point me in the right direction.
Thanks again, Ford

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a 'popping' sound from the rear end posi unit. Turning makes the rear wheels turn at different speeds and the posi would pop during that time. The full floater means that the axles do not carry any weight, just provide 'drive' to the wheels.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your axle lube. It lubes the wheel bearings on the sterling. You could have a bearing going bad or going dry if the lube level is low. Could just be a bearing going bad. I'd jack it up and pull the hub and check it if I thought it was noticeably warmer than the others. If it gets hot and galls to the spindle, you will have real problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online