got the oil pan gasket on today

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
just wanted to say thanks for the ideas on how to put the oil pan gasket on. i got it done in about 3 hours. I ended up cutting te gasket and installing it that way.. and used some indian head shollac to seal it up tight. But many thanks to all who helped. ;Sweet

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
just wanted to say thanks for the ideas on how to put the oil pan gasket on. i got it done in about 3 hours. I ended up cutting te gasket and installing it that way.. and used some indian head shollac to seal it up tight. But many thanks to all who helped. ;Sweet

Glad to hear that you got it done and in only three hours. ;Sweet BTW, I have used that Indian Head stuff before and it works great. The bad side to that stuff is when it comes time to clean it off of a surface if it ever has to be resealed again. -cuss

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I second and third ^^^^^^ that statement! I used to use it all the time back in Indian, got it from and old friend that taught me all kinds of neat tricks and helped me a lot. He gave me the first bottle and it took me 5 years to use it all, now I cant find it.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool!, glad it worked out for you. Now you just have to grab a cold one and admire your clean driveway (because of your leak-free engine!).

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
oil pan gasket

Ok I want to know how you did it. I have a seep thats driving me crazy.

first drain the oil.
take all the pan bolts off. on my truck they where 7/16 bolts
drop it down as far as you can( only about 2-3 inches to play with
scrape any rtv off if there is any(when i did this i had a vaccuum against the pan so as i scraped te old off it didnt fall into the pan
i cut the cork gasket torwards the back of the pan on the drivers side because i could easily get to it.. but dont cut where the pan has the belly in it because ur bound to have a leak there if you do
then i used indian head shellac compound on the top of pan to help hold the gasket in place
once the gasket is in place i used permatex high heat gasket maker where i cut the pan gasket and just pushed the pan back in place and bolted er down... oh then i drank a couple of beers .... hope this helps ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally the motor mounts have to come loose and the engine has to be jacked up. Some have used this to do an inframe bearing overhaul and then said it would have been easier to just pull the motor. Kudos for getting it done without too much grief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance